Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helloimD4NNY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I had that folder in SL, i'm not sure if i've ever had it on Lion though. Does anyone know how to get that folder that shows you all of the "movies" you have on your HD?

helloimD4NNY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
It is NOT a folder, it is a search result.
Look into Preferences > Sidebar > Search For > Movies if it is checked or not.

Screen Shot 2011-07-09 at 3.09.37 PM.png

I have the movies tab on my sidebar, it just not the "All Movies" "search result" I was looking for. The all movies search result would show every video I have on my computer.

Nov 28, 2010
located
View attachment 293045

I have the movies tab on my sidebar, it just not the "All Movies" "search result" I was looking for. The all movies search result would show every video I have on my computer.

The Movies FOLDER and the All Movies SEARCH RESULTS (also called "Smart Folder") are two different things.
The Movies folder is located inside your Home Directory (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU) and stores the movies and videos you want to store there.
The All Movies search results are a saved search for all kinds of video files on your Mac.

Have you tried the Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Search For > All Movies hint I provided earlier?
I am not using Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, thus maybe it may have been removed, but that is the actual check box to enable it in 10.6.

You could also create your own saved SEARCH RESULT via these means: Using Smart Folders in Mac OS X

helloimD4NNY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
The Movies FOLDER and the All Movies SEARCH RESULTS (also called "Smart Folder") are two different things.
The Movies folder is located inside your Home Directory (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU) and stores the movies and videos you want to store there.
The All Movies search results are a saved search for all kinds of video files on your Mac.

Have you tried the Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Search For > All Movies hint I provided earlier?
I am not using Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, thus maybe it may have been removed, but that is the actual check box to enable it in 10.6.

You could also create your own saved SEARCH RESULT via these means: Using Smart Folders in Mac OS X

The Smart Folder was the choice I ended up going with.

Lion must have changed the finder > preferences thing cause this is what it looks like now: Screen Shot 2011-07-09 at 3.20.53 PM.png

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Actually you can still get it back: Press Cmd+F to open the Search feature, then use the filter bars to filter out everything but movies and then choose to save the results. It give you the option to place a shortcut in the sidebar. (see Attachments)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-09 at 10.19.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-09 at 10.19.12 PM.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2011-07-09 at 10.19.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-09 at 10.19.18 PM.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 135
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.