Lost my install CD - mac os x

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BBasdas, Apr 9, 2010.

1. BBasdas macrumors member

BBasdas

hi, yet again I am not able to find this in the search - though I am sure someone must have asked - if so please guide me there.

I can not find my install CD for some reason. I need to reinstall to repair my Admin password lost issue. I can not make any changes on my mac.

What do we do when we lose it?
    do I have to buy a new one?
    can I use the install CD of another (someone else's) mac os x?

if they have other versions of install cd, what happens?

thanks,
    Begum

2. Surely Guest

Surely

You cannot use another computer's set of install discs unless they are from the exact same model. For example, you cannot use an iMac's set for a MBP).

Just call Apple and they'll ship you a new set of install discs. It costs around $10.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The admin password can also be reset through single-user mode. Instructions can be found online, but note that they differ for different versions of the OS. Correction on the price of the discs, assuming they are still available, it will be about $16 U.S. / disc.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

No need for correction.......I had to get a replacement set of discs, and AppleCare told me they were $10 total. However, they then waived the fee, and sent them to me for free.

Different systems, different pricing I suppose.

5. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I had this issue as well, they sent me the disks in 2 days for free as well waiving the fee for having apple care.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I didn't even have AppleCare, and they waived the fee!:D