Lost my iPhone backup when I got a new phone with old firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jayhawk85, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Jayhawk85 macrumors member

Jayhawk85

I went into the Apple store to swap out my iPhone with a bad vibrator (no jokes, please). They gave me a new iPhone running old firmware, not sure which. When I tried to restore from my previous backup, iTunes told me I had to:

1. Set up the phone as a new phone
    2. Update the phone's firmware
    3. Restore the phone using my original backup

BUT what happened was

1. My iPhone set up as a new phone, but with the same default name as my old iPhone AND THEN
    2. It overwrote the original "Andrew T's iPhone" with a new, but totall ***** useless "Andrew T's iPhone"

All my settings, voicemails, everything is gone. The only thing that really pisses me off about this is that I lost my Microsoft Exchange setup, and now I have to get our IT guy to do it again.

Any way I can recover the old iPhone backup from Time Machine?

Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Time machine could probably help you here.. find where the backups are located and then just "go back in time" as it were, depending on when it last backed up of course..

you backed up your backup right? ;)

Seriously though other than a time machine backup of the folder I've no idea as to what you can do. When I got my replacement iPhone they activated it instore for me and it took the moniker of "apple iPhone" so when i did a restore i could easily restore from my old backup.

Sucks to be you right now

3. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Exactly the same thing happened to me.....What i did which worked was this...

Uncheck automatically sync option for both phones seperately if you have this selected

Connect your old phone again and re name it - i called mine old iPhone
    iTunes will make a new backup of it

Connect your new phone which i presume you have now updated the software you will come to the set up screen where you choose set up as new ohone or backup from old phone - i then had a drop down list of the back ups id made and as id renamed the old phone i knew which one to select.

This then put all my old settings etc onto the new phone - then iTunes went back to the same setup screen and I couldnt get past it and kept backing up from old phone. What I had to do was then select set up as new phone and that was it. Everything from my old phone had copied over.

Let me know if this helps or if I didnt explain very well!!!

Good luck

4. Jayhawk85 thread starter macrumors member

Jayhawk85

So here's what AppleCare told me...

Time Machine did not help, system folders were not backed up for some reason. Isn't that the whole point of a backup system?! Wtf...

The people at AppleCare said that 2.0.2 was having some bugs, one that they had seen a lot was this one. She said to go ahead and click "Set up as new phone." And after clicking that it went right into the main iPhone screen with the tabs and all the info. Everything was still there from the original iPhone, but somehow in the process it got stuck in a loop of restoring and updating. Clicking "Set up as new phone" somehow knocked it out of the loop without actually resetting to factory specs.

Nice to know now... but a pretty stressful couple hours messing with it.

5. HeeHawHum macrumors newbie

I propose a fix

Right click on your name with the iphone icon after you've launched itunes. Select "restore from backup" and voila! It won't be a perfect restore, but all your notes, numbers, etc, will be there. If you had grouped apps together in a window, it didn't conserve it, but...at least you've got most of your stuff on there. I hope this helps! I almost freaked out myself...until I right clicked on a whim. Much luck to you!

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You’re responding to a post TWO years ago. I think they’ve figured this out by now.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Gotta love when people do this! :D

8. HeeHawHum macrumors newbie

lol

Ah, I just wanted to help. I'll watch for dates next time. Hopefully if anyone else stumbles on this post, it'll help them.