Lost my iphone, bought new one and found old one....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattSepeta, Sep 13, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lost my verizon iphone so I suspended the account, bought a new one using an upgrade at the verizon store rather than muck around with the craptacular asurion insurance provider. (Never getting phone insurance again)

This morning I get a call from someone saying they were contacted by a person that has my phone, so I got their number and picked up my old iphone a bit ago.

My questions:

•Can I sell my old iphone as "unlocked", or what would the proper way to describe it be?

•How do I reformat the old phone without messing up anything with the new phone? Is it as easy as plugging it in and reformatting it as usual?

•How much does a 16GB black verizon iphone 4 go for, used? Its been in a case and screen protector since day 1, like new condition with box and cables and instructions. I tried to get a feel for it on craigslist but it seems like the majority of posts are scams or scammish.

Thanks guys

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

No, not unlocked as that's not really correct. I'd say it's a Verizon iPhone with a clean ESN. That should be accurate enough. That is, of course, assuming it has a clean ESN. You'd probably need to chat with Verizon to make sure it is.

If by restoring, then yes. Simply back up the old phone, plug in the new phone and restore from that backup. Once everything seems correct on the new phone, simply restore the old phone through iTunes.

I would say somewhere in the ballpark of $300-ish? Might be a little lower with the pending release of the new iPhone around the corner.

3. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

thanks for the succinct answer. clears it all right up.

Funny how I am going to end up "profiting" from losing my phone, although the $150 profit will hardly be worth the incredible pain in the butt of losing a phone.