Lost my iPhone, should I get another?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CalPoly10, Aug 3, 2008.

1. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

Here's the deal. I lost my Original iPhone 4GB the other day at a theme park, and I highly doubt I'm going to get it back.

I'm on a family plan with my parents, and I was forced to pay the additional iPhone fee up front last year ($240, $20 x 12 months).

Now, I can get the new iPhone for $199, but my dad is going to make me pay up front for the additional costs. So it will be another $360 (for one year), and on top of that, I will most likely need text messaging.

I'm wondering if it is even worth it to me anymore. I LOVED the convenience of the iPhone, and used it ALL THE TIME.

I have a nice Motorola SLVR that I can use for free, and my cell phone costs will be free (Dad will pay for $9.99 additional line cost). I will have to pay for text messaging, but other than that, nothing.

Do you guys think I should step up and get the new iPhone? I am a 20 year old student, in College, entrepenuer, stock trader, traveler.

Need some advice!

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

It boils down to: do YOU want the iPhone.. or not? We can't make that decision for you.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

well, if ya have a job, then get the iPhone 3G, if ya dont have the job, get the iPhone 1.0 on eBay or something. i think that there the same thing really, only the 1.0 is a lot cheaper as in monthly costs...the PUSH thing is also on the new update, so yeah, all you dont have is GPS, but you have google maps, and 3G speeds, which if your on wi-fi alot, doesnt matter because wi-fi speeds are the same..

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How big of a hit is the extra money? Did you use the web alot, etc. If I lost mine, while it would hurt, I would most likely replace it.

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

20 years old? Get a job and get your own iPhone.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Dont get the phone

7. cambridge1807 macrumors member

Are you responsible enough not to lose another one? If yes, then get it. If not, use the SLVR.

8. CalPoly10 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I've got a job, but I will be working less hours once school starts.

And I got my "own" iPhone the first time around ...

The problem with buying iPhone 1.0 on eBay is that they are OVERPRICED!

The iPhone 1.0 sells for $325+ for a 4GB Model, while I can get an 8GB 3G iPhone for $220 (with tax).

That's $100 savings, which pays for 10 months of the iPhone usage fee (from 1.0 to 3G).

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If it is your money, make the decision as to whether you can afford it or not

If so, get it
    If not, wait

I am out of college and working and make decisions about different things like that every so-often with my paycheck and needs

If you aren't sure about whether you can keep it without breaking it, I would just save your money