Lost my iphone, What are my options?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hoyitsali, Aug 12, 2010.

1. hoyitsali macrumors newbie

I lost my iphone 3gs on Sunday, which has been under a 2 year contract by att about 4 months ago... My father already deactivated the phone, so i don't need to do so.
    1) If I need a new phone, do i have to get a new iphone? If so, how much is the replacement cost (for the 3gs not the iphone4)
    2) Can i buy a iphone off of ebay, for maybe it's cheaper??
    3) if i do get a new iphone, is there insurance for it? Like, does MobileMe actually work/help?
    4) Is it possible that AT&T may give it to me at a discounted price like for what it would be worth with a contract ($99) or even for free? Because i know someone who got theirs replaced for free. The salesman i always go to is very nice and friendly and always laughing, so maybe their is a possiblilty for it...If so, how can i do that!
    -Thanks, all help is appreciated.

2. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Your only option is to buy a new one for full price, I believe it's like $500 for 16GB or $600 for 32GB.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or

1 You can buy it full price, I think its $500
    2 Yes get a used one on ebay or CL.
    3 There is insurance available thru AT&T but it costs an arm and a leg every month and the deductible is high.
    4 ATT will not give you another discount/subsidy untill your contract is eligable for a device upgrade and they will definately not give your one free.
    You can always try but its not going to happen.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

1) Not sure what you're asking - do you mean, "If I need a new phone, does it HAVE to be an iPhone?"

2) You can, just pop in a sim card and it should work.

3) I have MobileMe, but it's no insurance. Should you lose your iPhone, it allows you to display a message, play a sound for 2 minutes, wipe your data remotely, lock it with a passcode, and best of all - track it. So if you decide to get a MobileMe account, you will be able to see where your phone is at, and possibly find it or get it from someone who DID find it.

4) Probably not, maybe if you still had the phone and the case was different, like if it was damaged. But since you lost your iPhone, and it's on you, I doubt they'll discount you, and I especially doubt they'll give you another one free.