Lost my iPhone! What to do !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chanabra, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Chanabra macrumors member

Hey, I recently, stupid and intoxicated left my iPhone somewhere and I think someone probably grabbed it.. I have been calling it in hopes someone will answer and return it. Either way, I am an AT&T customer.. I need to be able to dial and receive calls and the buyers guide said there is a new iPhone coming out supposedly pretty soon.

I have a few questions..
    Can I get a cheap AT&T phone added onto my plan without a bunch of fees (currently have iphone data plan 3g unlimited text unlimited) while I wait for a new iPhone..

Second, should I just buy a brand new 3g 16GB iPhone or do you think the new one will come out soon or I should just get it anyway.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

First I'd get ahold of AT&T and let them know your phone's been stolen. Worst case scenario is that the thief is going to make tons of international calls and add up your bill.

Second, you could a get cheap go-phone for the meantime.

Third, yes there will likely be a new iPhone this summer. Wait for it, as June is less than two months away.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I would be more proactive then just reporting it.

First off, go into your att account and check out your list of outgoing calls. See if there's anything from the date you lost it. If you see anything listed, try doing reverse lookups online, find out who they are. The more info the better I would say.

I'd also check your SENT fold in your email, if you use iMap you'll see emails or anything the person that took your phone sent.

Then maybe text the person. "I know who you are.. i know who your calling.. " hehe.. i would probably have fun with it. If the person is stupid, which they probably are. Tell them your phone has a gps and you can track it or something. Maybe convince them to mail it back to you and you won't call the cops etc..

All worth a shot I think.

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

A) call your phone see if the person picks up ( if they pick up, probably not a thief)
    B) send e-mails/texts to the phone
    C) Go into AT&t store and figure out if the person made any phone calls with your iphone
    D) Deactivate your phone
    E) Go online and to and find a cheap used iPhone, or wait till June for the new model refresh

5. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I had the impression if I lost MY iPhone it wouldn't be too much of a problem getting it back seeing as 3G having the GPS dot following you.

Are you telling me once its lost, it's pretty much gone?

What if the person that stole it attempts to connect it to their iTunes to upload and switch all their music?

Or worse if they attempt to activate the iPhone to their own account?

Isn't there any kind of assurance once that iPhone with that unique serial number gets connected to iTunes or anything like that? Can't Apple or ATT flag it?

6. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

just go to an att store and get a new sim card and a cheap go phone, activating the new sim will automatically deactivate ur old phone.

7. Chanabra thread starter macrumors member

I deactivated my phone, and I don't have an account online yet.. I am calling customer service and activating it tomorrow, going to check recent calls and maybe if they made calls I will call them and figure out who has it..

Other then that I reported the stolen phone, and in the meantime getting a $39.99 Nokia 2600 until the new iPhone comes out.. They took the data plan off, so $30 less a month for probably 3-4 months until the new iphone comes out. So really I am getting a free temporary phone and the 30$ for 4 months will go towards my new iPhone.

PS, my old iPhone 3g was broken anyway and supposedly got water damage? But I never dropped it in water or got it wet so I was already at the point where I was waiting for the new phone to come out.

More or less it worked out okay cuz I get a free new phone and I cant wait for the new iPhone.

I had a clear case on my previous phone but it was really cheap. I kind of want a silicone case or something for my next iPhone, I tend to drop my phone alot..

Any recommendations on good cases that protect and are good for accidental droppage?

8. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

9. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yeah, InCase is the shizzle. I glanced at their site for a few minutes and saw something about a bamboo case...that and i remember seeing some case that actually gave the iphone a longer battery life, without adding too much bulk.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

11. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Do you think that is a bad assumption?

12. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Wouldnt an iPhone not work period if it didn't have a Sim Card in it?

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

14. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The device works fine without the SIM. Just the "Phone" functions quit working. :eek:

So if the person with it just turns it off, battery runs down or removes the SIM your ability to track it are gone.

Dave

15. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

would just be like a Touch, unless he has his own sim to put in it and use.

16. jeremykyle macrumors regular

You can also check to see if any emails have been sent FROM the phone by looking on your computer at your email provider. This may give you a hint as to what's up.

17. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

April 16, 4:54pm
    April 17, 7:29pm
    You can also check to see what was already said before your post by reading the thread.

18. Pared macrumors 65816

Right, because most likely the thief thought to take the sim card out immediately.

Time is of the essence in a situation like this. Do what you can to get your phone back.

Or you can be negative such as yourself and not possibly try an actual useful suggestion.

19. jwguidry macrumors newbie

My daughter lost her phone and I've had it disconnected BUT...

now signing up for the family map program won't work because the phone's service is disconnected! Argh! And if course, AT&T isn't open today for questions. We lost the phone on Wednesday and unfortunately did not act quickly enough, thinking it might turn up. Think we lost it in Walmart on a desperate shopping mission for gymnastics clothes. What a mistake. After checking with them yesterday at the alleged "customer service desk," they rifled through their "lost and found drawer" (unlocked clear plastic box) and said it wasn't there. Big surprise!!!!!

Anyway, I guess I'll have to ask AT&T to reconnect, but the family map program texts the password to the phone, so we won't be able to access it unless someone brilliant at AT&T can divert the text to another phone. We are checking email, but the last phone call was last Wednesday, so no one is making any calls.

Any other suggestions out there?