Lost my iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghanwani, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I lost my iPhone about 5 days after I bought it. I think it fell out of my pocket while I was in a cab traveling on business. I called the phone, called the cab company, etc. but I haven't been able to recover the phone.

I disconnected service to the phone about an hour after I discovered it was lost. I am now using my old, unlocked T-mobile phone with an AT&T SIM card which they provided for no charge, and have downgraded my plan to the non-data plan.

Looks like my only choice at this point will be to drop another $400+ to get myself a new iPhone. :mad:

Anyway, just venting...

And also curious -- if the phone is found by someone and then unlocked, if they try to use it on the AT&T network, would AT&T know that it was my phone?

Anoop

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Sorry to hear your loss. My advice is, use the regular phone for now and get the next iPhone in June. By then it won't hurt that much.

3. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Great ! Because now you can use that crappy Phone and when the next version of iphone comes out you can buy that ! Simple as that !

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sorry but no, AT&T does not track IMEI of any phone so the person that found your iPhone or the person that they may have give it to or may have sold it to can start new service with AT&T with their existing SIM or with a new SIM. As you pointed out they can also just unlock it and use it on another carrier.

Dave

5. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies so far, especially from Dave.

One more thing - are there any security issues I should be concerned about? I changed the password on my email account that was configured on the phone, but other than that (and of course disconnecting service) I'm not aware of anything else that I can (or need to) do.

Anoop

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There's no evidence of such an update in June - I'd just buy now and deal with the consequences.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

any of the apps you installed require a password like facebook be sure to change those too.
    Sorry for your loss.

8. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

Next time make sure you buy it with a credit card that has included product warranty on purchases like American Express and you'll be worry free. :)

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Unless you had notes or other app with sensitive info on phone not that I can think of. One thing though. Even though you changed password to email if you already had sensitive emails downloaded on phone they'd still have access to that

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Hearing a lot of "lost" iPhone stories. It really is something to worry about when you're out and about. I'm pretty bad when it comes to misplacing things. I'd be terrified if I actually took mine out of the house if I had one.

Sorry to hear your story. Hope you get the next model.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Lesson from this - use a passcode and set it to erase after 10 times.

12. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That won't work unless the OP has jailbroken his iPhone, and installed the app through Cydia.

Don

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Thanks captain obvious, but I rather jailbreak my iPhone, pay $5, and know where my iPhone is at all times, as well as controlling it.

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well, what good will that do for the OP? It's not going to help him/her, so why even mention it?

Don

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

And what good is making a thread about losing his phone going to do? Make his iPhone magically return?

My thing is just for a future reference.

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm going to assume that you did read the entire thread, and that you just forgot about the above post.

The OP was asking for help, regarding the security issues that arise when phone is lost.

Don

17. firewood macrumors 604

If you had any passwords stored on the phone, or were logged into any sites in Safari, change all those passwords ASAP. (and use something like spashdata with a mongo long alphanumerigibberish master password for any important numbers next time if you don't already.)

I wish the iPhone included one of those keychain tether slots (like all Japanese cell phones seem to have).

18. outaru macrumors member

can mobile me remotely delete all your iphones content?

19. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Amex does not cover loss. They only cover damage or theft.

Anoop

20. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a bummer. I thought about that. Fortunately there was nothing too sensitive...but it was personal stuff nevertheless.