Lost my Leopard disks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neykon, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Neykon macrumors member

Hi people,

I simply can't find my installation disks, that followed with my Macbook Pro.

So I decided to call Apple Support Denmark (were I'm living), and they wanted (****in') 800 Danish crowns, thats allmost 150$ for 2 installation disks! :eek:

Well now, it's that the best, most solid, and cheepest solution out there? -
    - 150$ is a lot of money, especially when I'm saving to an iMac this summer.

Thanks for your time, in advance.
    - Neykon :apple:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Buy the install discs from Apple or buy the retail Leopard discs.

3. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

$150 is the cost of a copy of Mac OS X Leopard CD. You can find a cheaper copy for less on eBay.

4. Neykon thread starter macrumors member

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I thought you could ring up apple, quote your serial number, say you lost your install discs, and it's like $50?

6. Neykon thread starter macrumors member

Again, thanks.

Could I borrow a DVD instead, from a friend of mine?
    Would that work out well?

- Neykon

7. Neykon thread starter macrumors member

The Apple-chick wanted 150$ for 2 DVDs.

In Denmark - not USA.

- Neykon

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If he has the retail disc, yes you could, if he has the discs that came with his machine (they'll be grey), his machine has to be exactly the same to yours, otherwise it won't have the correct drivers.

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

You mean if your body as a Mac Pro install disk and you have a MacBook Pro?

10. Neykon thread starter macrumors member

Allmost, he got an iMac. Purchased nearly the same date.

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The only way you could borrow discs from a friend would be if his computer was the *exact* same model Mac as yours. If the computers are different it won't work.

If you could get your hands on a Mac OS X Leopard install disc (purple with the big "X" on it), you could use that instead.

12. Neykon thread starter macrumors member

Ai, thank for your answer mate (I'm going in pirate-mode today, dunno why).

Well, I think I'd might buy the DVDs on eBay.
    This is serious Apple-fail. Many companies e.g. Eletronic Arts have a good "oops-I-lost-my-damn-disc"-warranty. But, personally, I think it's way too much paying the same price once again, when you are a fullbloded Mac'er and accidently lost the disks.

However, thanks for the quick support guys.
    A nice way to get a sweet "welcome" to MacRumors!

Cya guys!
    - Neykon :apple:

13. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

That won't work.

If you have a Unibody MacBook Pro 15", then your friend need to have the Unibody MacBook Pro 15" install disk.

If you have a Unibody MacBook Pro 17", then your friend need to have the Unibody MacBook Pro 17" install disk.

If you have a Unibody MacBook Pro 15" but your friend have a Unibody MacBook Pro 17" install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Unibody MacBook Pro 17" but your friend have a Unibody MacBook Pro 15" install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Classic MacBook Pro but your friend have a Unibody MacBook Pro install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Unibody MacBook Pro but your friend have a Classic MacBook Pro install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Unibody MacBook but your friend have a Unibody MacBook Pro install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Unibody MacBook Pro but your friend have a Unibody MacBook install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Classic MacBook but your friend have a Unibody MacBook Pro install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Unibody MacBook but your friend have a Classic MacBook Pro install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Classic MacBook but your friend have a Classic MacBook Pro install disk, then you cannot install it.

If you have a Classic MacBook Pro but your friend have a Classic MacBook install disk, then you cannot install it.

14. Neykon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your information/messages both of you.
    I'll try Google. :D

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Just call up AppleCare. So much more cheaper. $15 per disc. If you buy both the install discs, it will run about $34 U.S. w/tax. Regardless of country, the cost for replacement discs will be substantially lower. Heck, sometimes Apple will just give you the discs for free, I know I do ;) (It costs Apple almost nothing for the discs...)

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I knew it!

17. Neykon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip about AC ;)

Do I have to buy AppleCare to get the cheaper DVDs?

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No. Anyone can call in and get replacement discs. I didn't tell you this, but if you have multiple Mac's in the house, you can call AppleCare and explain to them that you lost your Leopard retail disc. You can get that for about $15 U.S. (again, regardless of country, cheaper than retail). It won't be a clear and simple "we'll mail one", they'll need to get authorization but your chances are good. I just go ahead and ship them any disc, I have a need to please Apple users! ;) If you need any discs (replacement or retail), call up AppleCare, it's safe and cheap.

19. Neykon thread starter macrumors member

Man, thank you so much for your advice!

It's much appreciated - will curtainly try that on monday!

Thank you, again! I like people pleasing Apple users for their own needs! ;)

Well, why not one more "Thank you".
    - Neykon :cool:

20. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

call apple, tell them they are damaged, they will send you a replacement.