Lost My Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by okayjustin, Oct 26, 2008.

1. okayjustin macrumors member

I think my laptop was either stolen or left somewhere. Has this ever happened to any of you guys and what did you guys do about it??? i changed all my passwords that might have been saved on bank websites and all of that already. i dont recall any real important information like SSN being on there though. i do have school documents, i do have pictures and videos and music. i do have chat transcrips there. anyways though.. i just wanted to see what other people had to say other than its unlikely that ill get it back .. thanks

2. Deschain macrumors member

I don't leave my computer places or put in a position to be stolen, so no, i haven't been in that situation.

3. Aelyrin macrumors member

Deschain,

Thank heavens that people like you are trolling forums late at night to let someone who is in a bad situation know that you wouldn't ever make that sort of mistake. Not sure what macrumors would do without you.

To the OP, sadly if you have lost the laptop your options are few, your files, passwords, pictures, transcripts are all out there in someone else's hands.

The most important thing would be figuring out what was there that you CAN change. Bank passwords, credit card login information, even forum access. Anything that may have been saved in your keychain. Change that information as soon as you possibly can. You may also call your financial service providers (banks, Credit cards, etc). Let them know what has happened and to notify you immediately of transfers or charges that happen on your accounts.

If you are a gamer, change your passwords to your accounts. The keychain is the most crucial information on your entire system that someone who gets ahold of your machine can gain access to.

Sadly, as most of us do, you probably have personal and confidential imagery/information on your laptop that is now in someone else's hands and you have to learn to live with the violation that causes.

Things like this do happen on occasion, and like any theft (assuming it was stolen) you feel very violated.

Hope you find it, sometimes things turn up or you left it somewhere and an honest person happened by who will contact you.

4. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

Couldn't agree more with the sentiments regarding the first reply - totally unhelpful, and I don't think it's the kind of reply you would wish to receive as and when you suffer a loss.
    I understand this isn't helpful t the OP and it's something I hadn't really considered, but is there an easy way to password protect your keychain/macbook?

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I am sorry to hear about your lost MacBook. Has anyone ever tried or heard how the Lo-Jack for Laptops works. I was thinking about it, but wasn't sure if it was something that actually works.

6. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Enable password for your user account in system preferences. Enable Filevault. Done.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

If you haven't, don't forget to report it to the police, and to Apple, in case the thief sold it, and the new owner try registering it to Apple.

8. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about what happened I recommend contacting apple and the police like the OP said, and also change ALL your passwords that were on that computer, o and next time use time machine or idisk it could help allot.

9. m1stake macrumors 68000

Laptops don't get lost, they get stolen. :( Hopefully you had it covered?

10. g2525 macrumors newbie

when you got a new computer you should download this app http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/downloads.html when you lost your computer it can locate where it is and who stole it by taking a picture with isight

good luck =]

11. hj100 macrumors newbie

Tell that to people who left theirs on the trunk or top of the car while in a hurry etc.