Lost my main harddrive folder, not in trash?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by .JahJahwarrior., Sep 10, 2009.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

In Tiger, I always had the main harddrive in the upper right hand corner of the desktop, easy to click on to open up a finder window. I wanted to make this happen again in SL, but couldn't figure it out. I tried dragging the main harddrive from under "devices" in Finder to the "Desktop" folder, and it poofed away....I go to undo, and there is no undo option for that. And it is not in my trash folder.

What the heck did I do? Why did the drive disappear in a poof just because I dragged it over? How can I fix it? I don't even know what to search for but "my folder went away in a poof" turns up nothing :D

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Under Finder, Preferences:
    Show these items on the desktop:
    Select Hard Disks.

And avoid terms like "poof" in a google search.

Attached Files:

3. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, changing that made it show back up on the desktop, and I was able to drag it back into Finder...I have no clue what the heck I did, but I think I fixed it? Thank you!!

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

My HD icons are usually hidden. I've long switched to using CMD + N to open a new finder window, and navigating from there. See where I've selected "New Finder Windows open:" and the pulldown button says Biz? That's my prime work directory, where things usually start. I also drag current common folders onto the tab on the left of Finder windows, for easy reference.

To each his own... :)