Lost my music

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ballyharpat, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ballyharpat macrumors newbie

Hey,

I messed up and can't find my music.
    I was trying to put it on an external HD, the HD wasn't big enough, I was able to put it in a folder on my desktop, then went through the long slow process of putting it back into itunes.
    When I had this done, everything showed up in itunes and was working.
    I then put the folder from the desktop into the thrash, I played itunes and it seemed fine, so I emptied my thrash-not a good idea!

I then opened itunes again, the names of the music showed up, but it is showing the exclamamtion mark again, and now I don't have the folder as I deleted/emptied it :(

Attached Files:

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Hmm--that doesn't sound good. iTunes isn't a storage place, it is a music database used to locate your music. It was able to locate it on your computer but now that you have deleted the folder where all your music resides, it can no longer find it. Did you manage to put a backup on your external drive? Like any other deleted file, the music is probably gone but there is always the possibility that you can use a data recovery app to find at least some of it. Sorry, I don't have any other ideas, maybe someone else can offer better news.