Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not positive about this part but I think I accidentally turned notes syncing on with my Gmail account on my phone, causing me to lose my many (and important) notes that I had in the official Notes app. I'm not having any luck getting them back and I'm trying to hold in my rage. I don't think this happened today but it wasn't until today that I noticed. So, it would seem iTunes has overwritten the backup that had my notes on it with more recent ones that do not. Have I lost my chance to retrieve my beloved notes? :mad:

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I'm not positive about this part but I think I accidentally turned notes syncing on with my Gmail account on my phone, causing me to lose my many (and important) notes that I had in the official Notes app. I'm not having any luck getting them back and I'm trying to hold in my rage. I don't think this happened today but it wasn't until today that I noticed. So, it would seem iTunes has overwritten the backup that had my notes on it with more recent ones that do not. Have I lost my chance to retrieve my beloved notes? :mad:
If you synced your notes to your Gmail account, why wouldn't they be there?

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I think it synced my Gmail notes (nothing) to my phone.

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Regardless of why or how the notes are gone, they are. I could use some help.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I could use some help.
I agree with you, if your notes aren't on Google, or your phone, and you don't have a backup, they are gone

I know this won't help the current situation, but I got in the habit of dragging a copy of the iTunes backup to a folder where it is safe from the iTunes overwrite. I don't do it every time I back up, but I always have backups from the last couple of months.

Last edited:

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Is there a back button in the upper left hand part of the notes app. When you set up notes to exist in several locations (google and local) it sometimes behaves like email when it's set up for multiple accounts. You basically get an accounts page in notes and it will filter your notes based on what you have selected.

For instance if you are in mail and you have a yahoo and google account and you're looking at the yahoo inbox you wont see the google one. Same applies here, if you are in the google sync notes account then you are not seeing the locally stored notes.

You need to use that back button <- arrow to get back to the accounts page and select the locally stored notes. Alternatively, they could exist in google. Look in your gmail account on a web browser for a new label called Notes. Mine are there. Also, I would suggest syncing with gmail from here on out so you have a backup online =)

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I finally found my notes! They were synced to my AIM account, not Gmail. Now that I have them in my AIM email, how do I get them back to my phone?

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I know, but I'm afraid it will wipe them out of the AIM account because I don't have any on my iPhone?

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Without my phone plugged into my computer, I turned notes syncing on for AIM and got the notes back. Then I turned the syncing back off and also plugged my phone into my computer. They are gone again.

How can I get them back from AIM but then turn notes syncing off again? What does the notes syncing option unrelated to email in iTunes do? I've never had that checked.

Edit: I think I did it. Sync notes option checked, replace information on iPhone with info on computer

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
If you want to make sure that you don't lose the information in your notes, just copy and paste the information in your notes on your phone or computer.

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
If you want to make sure that you don't lose the information in your notes, just copy and paste the information in your notes on your phone or computer.
This is probably a stupid question, but do you mean individually copy and paste them into TextEdit or something like that?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
This is probably a stupid question, but do you mean individually copy and paste them into TextEdit or something like that?
There are no stupid questions! Yeah, you could select all the text in one note and paste it into an "new" note on your phone. Might take awhile, but it would be safe. Or use your computer to copy and paste them to google notes and sync the phone with that.

EDIT: Syncing with Gmail wont work. because it is a one way sync.
Looks like copy and paste right to your Iphone notes is the best option.

Last edited:

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
Notes sync

I use my notes on my iphone quite often and use Exchange for my Gmail so notes was not an option to sync. I went ahead and created a seperate IMAP account for my notes only just now and from my understanding any notes i now create will be put in the notes label in my gmail. I tested it and it works fine but the question i have is...

How can I add the notes I already have in my notes app (before I created the IMAP notes sync) backed up into the notes label? Only new entries are going there.

thanks
Angelo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.