Lost my partition and can't find it!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tinman623, Nov 2, 2010.

1. tinman623 macrumors newbie

So i just deleted my windows partition with the intention of replacing it with one with more file space. Everything went well until i started the process of partitioning it. Midway through the process of the mac partitioning my hard drive it FROZE. I shut it down manually with the power button, but now i'm missing the 80GB in my hard drive that was supposed to be my windows partition. Does anyone know how i can recover this lost memory? Thanks :confused:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What can you see in Disk Utility? Click you HD (NOT Mac HD) and the partition tab. Can you include a similar screenshot as mine?

Attached Files:

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Both previous suggestions are spot on.

You may also want to use something like Disk Inventory X or DaisyDisk to see if there is a 80GB file somewhere on your disk that is set aside for the partition.

B

4. tinman623 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used boot camp assistant to partition
    I trieed looking at disk inventory X but it only shows 98.6 GB of what finder says is 174.6GB of used space.

Attached Files:

5. tinman623 thread starter macrumors newbie

how would disk utility help? is there a solution to this?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

At this point I'd run Disk Utility from your OS X install disc and try to verify and repair the filesystem. Looks like space is allocated, but not tied to a particular file since otherwise Disk Inventory X should have seen it.

B

7. arpitmalik1000 macrumors newbie

8. arpitmalik1000 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem if any one knows the solution please help me.....250 gb space is lost running os x el capitan