Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
I "downgraded" my computer back to leopard (10.5.8) from snow leopard (10.6.1) via the SL install disk and a time machine backup. Now my VMware Fusion virtual machine for Windows XP is missing in action. Where can I find this on my Time Machine backup so that I can see if I can restore it?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Is it even backed up with Time Machine? Most Virtual Machines don't get backed up because backing them up at the 1 hour interval require a copy of the ENTIRE vm file (which can add up to 20+ gb each depending on your VM Disk drive)

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
I'm not sure what my backup intervals are, but could someone give me the location of the file(s) on the Hard Drive so that I can see if Time Machine did back them up by any chance? I don't think mine would be that big, I only use VMware to test Internet Explorer. No other programs/files are on there

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
Easiest way to do this is to go to the folder on your hard drive where you store your VMs, then go into Time Machine and go through the backups to see where the last backup is, and click Restore.

If you want to look manually, open your Time Machine drive. You'll see a folder called "Backups.backupdb". Inside there is a folder called your computer's name. Inside there is a bunch of folders named the date and time of the backup. Inside there is a replica of your hard drive folders. Go to the folder that you store your VMs.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Nope, don't see any backups. Looks like I'll just have to re-install Windows all over again. Too bad I don't have my disk with me ... I'm not at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.