Lost one of my hard drive icons HELP!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Larry1951, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Larry1951 macrumors newbie

I plugged a Seagate USB portable drive in and POOF my hard drive icon vanished.Anybody know what to do, it shows up in dish utility gray(what i named it),first aid just comes up with error message,tried to rebuild desktop??????

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm not sure I'm following exactly what happened here. Which hard drive icon vanished? Are you referring to the icon for the Seagate external? Which one is showing up in Disk Utility gray?

Try booting from the OS X install DVD (insert the DVD and hold the CTL button when you hear the starting chime until it presents you with the choices for boot then choose the OS X DVD) and run Disk Utility from there.

If it is the hard disk on which OS X is installed that is having the problem this is the only way you can repair it. Disk Utility cannot take control of the drive while OS X is running.

3. Larry1951 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have two hard drive one with OS9 and the other with OSX,it was a usb portable i plugged in,also have a Sonnet upgrade which stopped me from being able to use the startup disc i guess,i put the old processor back in and it started ,fixed the disc sure was a lot of work i tried everything i could thing of ,was in a panic,too much to loose!OSX has a lot of things i like and i have stayed with the upgrades,crashed ,freezes and weird things going on like this one have come through them all so far,not going back to IBM,do have one to play games on HA!! Thanks Larry51