Lost OpenFirmware Password - what do i do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wyatt23, Jun 21, 2007.

1. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i bought my ibook from a member in another forum a few months back. he has since changed his email and i can no longer contact him. the problem is, he put a password on the openfirmware.

my problem is i am trading this away and cannot do a clean install!

how do i go about reseting this or bypassing to reinstall?

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

3. kgarchar macrumors 6502

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"The Open Firmware Password can be reset and changed by any one of the following:

By any administrator user, as designated in the Accounts preferences (or in Server Admin).
    Via physical access to the inside of the computer.
    When the computer is started up in Mac OS 9."

Firmware Password Protection

5. Mernak macrumors 6502

This is slightly more detailed than on the othersite, but it is still the same basic idea of the RAM.

6. md11 macrumors member

I would try to find out the previous owners identity. You for sure know where he was from and his name? Any money transaction traces.
    Maybe the forum master (of the other forum) has some records of the nick he was using..
    Many ways.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I haven't tried super macho bovine testicular extract site, just the Apple recommended site. Whatever works. ;)

8. wyatt23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

ha, i have the guys name and phone number. i called him today, but he didn't answer. he changed his email, but he didn't quite change him phone number. lives in kentucky, older guy. real nice, just HARD to get a hold of.

plus i don't think he likes getting calls from strange phone numbers a 1000 miles away! lol.

i did the pram, but when i hold the controls, the silver apple screen comes up. the little spinny circle spins. then the login window shows up. isn't something else supposed to happen?

9. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

10. wyatt23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

AHHHH! WOO! Closure!

ok. so all you need is the Firmware Password Utility located on the Tiger install disc. It is in Applications/Utilities/. Open it. Put in any password or turn the password option off.

click ok. put in administrator password. DONE!

much easier that i thought it was and i'm glad to know it now. however, i don't know why there isn't more mention of this anywhere even in other threads i found on google. no made any mention of it and like *most* things apple, it proved to be pretty painless! thanks for all your help.