Lost OSX Leopard disk for Mac Pro Now What :(

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by johny5, Mar 28, 2008.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I cant find the install disks that came with my 2008 pro :(

I have installed bootcamp but obviously need the disks for the bootcamp drivers although I have used my family pack of Leopard which seems to have installed the majority of the drivers there are still 2 outstanding devices:

Display driver (now fixed this as I downloaded the 2600HD driver from ATI)
    and
    Base System Driver

2 questions

1) what can I do with this outstanding driver?
    2) is there any way I can pay for duplicate disks from apple if I give them my Pro serial number?

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

You can torrent the drivers, not sure if this would be illegal seeing as you own the disk anyway.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I don't know if the Mac Pro '08's Boot Camp drivers are 'torrented yet.... The Retail Leopard DVD's ones are, but as the OP stated, these are not complete for his Mac Pro.

Wouldn't it be better to ask Apple for new Restore DVD's? I am sure you only have to pay a small fee, and you'll have the complete set once again.

4. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Thanks, I downloaded the drivers, but as you said it looks like these are the previous ones.

C&C Tiberium doesnt seem that fast on XP/bootcamp, it seems to jerk slightly when scrolling even though I have the latest drivers for the ATI 2600 HD? I would have thought it was super smooth on an octo 2.8 even with the ATI?

The "Base System Driver" is still an issue but have read another thread that says this doesnt go even with the drivers?

I still need my restore disks anyway so will call apple when they wake up at 10:00am

5. Ploki macrumors 68000

yeah, it would, if it were using all 8 cores :)
    run task manager (you can see all 8 cores there), run C&C, alt tab to task manager, and see one core peak, one on 50%, and other sleeping. ;)

6. Spud1 macrumors member

If your talking C&C3 then no you shouldn't expect decent framerates unless your playing on medium/low graphics with no AA/AF.

The ATI card is not geared for gaming in any way, shape, or form - its a budget graphics card that works much better in 'Pro' applications than in 3D games. Even 2xQuad CPUs won't help as the game simply isn't coded to use them all, but it is coded to use the GPU.

Installing the correct drivers may help a little, but for good gaming you really need the 8800GT card unfortunately ;/ With that card it flies along with full graphical detail/AA/AF :D

Would be interested to see how much apple charge you for replacement discs - I have not lost mine yet but i've not heard of anyone asking them for replacements yet..so no idea what they would say.

7. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Well, spoke to Applecare today who were having issues with their systems but the nice man on the phone gave me a case number and suggested that I call back on Monday.

I asked what the estimated cost might be and he guessed at £40 to £80 :eek: I was hoping for more £10 to £20.
    Anyway he did say that he has logged them as "missing" when I came to use them and suggested that I do the same when I call back!
    I said I didn't want to be cheeky, but yes of course, they were missing when I opened the box....:rolleyes:

8. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Called Apple, they are sending out the disks that were, um "missing" :p

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

All right.. but what are they charging for them?

10. rtrt, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  11. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

12. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I think, officially, Apple charges £15 inc. VAT and postage for a set of system discs. Presumably that means $30, possibly less in the U.S.A.