Lost partition on external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brianhagen, Sep 12, 2011.

1. brianhagen macrumors newbie

I have a WD MyBook Essential 2TB drive recently went kaflooie. I noticed it wasn't showing up on my mac and now I can't see or access the drive.

It had two partiitions on the drive. One being my files, the other being the built in partition that contains the Western Digital utilities.

The drive would not mount nor would it show up in Disk Utility. The drive would also not show up in Disk Warrior.

I was able to 'see' the drive using Data Rescue III, and after I ran the thorough scan on (40+hrs!) it was only able to see the Western Digital SmartDrive partition and rescue files from it (manual, etc)

Im now running Remo Recover on the drive (24hr+ scan) and my fingers are crossed to hopefully 'find' my partition and either get it mountable or at the least retrieve the files.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what further I might try? I really appreciate any help or ideas.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I refuse to use Western Digital external drives anymore. My experience is that they just give out sooner or later.

I would go with Iomega eGo drives. Most models are fast, reliable and tough.

3. brianhagen thread starter macrumors newbie

Already bought a new NON-WD drive to replace this one.

I should also mention that there are no bad sectors on the drive apparently, according to the tests