iPad Pro lost passcode for touch id for iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pianoman88, Nov 16, 2015.

1. pianoman88 macrumors regular

I didn't think that I'd need it after scanning my fingerprint.
    Shut the device down and now it's asking for the passcode.
    What do I need to do?

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

go to the apple store if you are the rightful owner

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Seems kind of fishy; when you setup the device no more than five days ago, you would have had to put in a passcode that you knew well enough to enter twice in a row. You can't remember that passcode now?

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

Restore the device in itunes if you are the owner you will know the apple ID username and password you will need them to set the device up again.

5. pianoman88 thread starter macrumors regular

I assumed that once I had the fingerprint in, that was it. I just found it. I keep all of my PWs (over a hundred) in an Excel sheet and it was listed under Touch ID instead of iPad Pro. The store makes sense; no way to verify information over the phone.

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Maybe I just take for granted that it's easy for me to remember numbers, but I just found it odd that you had forgotten a passcode that you had created not even a week ago. Maybe I am a bit cynical, though; glad you got it resolved.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

You will need to enter a PIN or passphrase in order to get touch ID to work, if a pin like 495168 is too hard to remember change the pin to passphrase and make it something long that's easier to remember.

8. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

I use the long passcode option and have a very lengthy alpha-numeric code with symbols/signs. I memorize it anyway (since you need to use it every 48 hours regardless) but always keep it in my password manager too just in case.

9. tbmcdonell macrumors newbie

tbmcdonell

It isn't fishy at all. You now need a six code number and I swore I wrote it down but it doesn't work.

Now my iPad pro has given me six one minute times out and is now giving me five minutes.

How can I just erase it. My iPad is backed up on ICloud not on iTunes.

10. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Put it in recovery mode and restore through iTunes. Verify ownership by entering your iCloud details when asked and after restoring choose restore from iCloud on the iPad itself.

11. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

A six code number isn't required, you have the ability to pick which code you want to use. If you go into settings and then passcode you can set a new one with the 4 digits. It's at the bottom of the new passcode screen, says something about passcode options.

12. goesslry macrumors newbie

goesslry

i'm in the same boat. don't remember the passcode. most of my passcodes are 4 digits, but if i remember right, they asked for a 6 digit.

13. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

6 digit passwords are stronger so they encourage it but you don't have to. You can always have a 4 digit code if you wish.

14. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

You can also choose an alphanumeric passcode. I use one that is 20 characters long.