Lost Passord after reinstall?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheMechanic, Jul 1, 2008.

1. TheMechanic macrumors regular

Hi everybody!

I have a Macbook with Leopard on it with only one account. Yesterday I wanted to make a fresh install of Leopard because the 10.5.4 update was out. So I made sure that everything is backed up and put the first Install Disk in my MB. I choose the Archive and Install option. (btw I know that "Archive and Install" creates a "Previous" folder and puts the old system files in it but what happens with the application folder?)
    After the installation was completed and the computer booted up again it brought up a login screen and ask me for my password. So I typed in my password (which is the administrator password, 'cause I have only one account). But it was the wrong password, at least it seems so, because it prompts me for the password again after it wobbles a bit.
    I know that I typed the right password. I also tried all other passwords that I use but nothing changes.
    What happend here? Am i stupid and always type the wrong password? Or went something wrong? What can I do now?
    It is kind of annoying 'cause my Mac is basically useless now!

Your help is very appreciated!!
    Thank you in advance!!

2. CLuv macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me when I did a reinstall for my parents. All you ned to do is boot off of your Leopard Install Disc, and under Utilities find Reset Password.

3. TheMechanic thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your help!

I already tried to boot from the Install Disc but there was also a login screen. So that doesn't help me.
    But I'll try again...

...but wait! Do I have to press a key while booting? Or does it automatically boot from the Disc?

4. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I had the same issue. Curious. You have to hold down the "C" key while booting with the disk in the drive.

5. TheMechanic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot guys!

It is working again now. I forgot that it is the "C" key that I have to hold down.

6. CLuv macrumors 6502

Glad to hear that helped. Don't know what causes it, but at least there is a fix.