Lost Password & Installing Leopard over Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dale Collie, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Dale Collie macrumors member

I bought a used MacBook with Tiger on it. I have a factory disk of Leopard that I want to install. Will I be able to do this without the password of the previous owner ... I dont have it and cant get it. Any tips you have on how to clean install without the password are very much appreciated.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You should be able to do an upgrade without a password but once the installation is complete, you will need the password to login as it retains that setting/security. Why don't you just erase and do a clean install of Leopard? You can also reset the password from within the install DVD if you need to go that route.

3. Dale Collie thread starter macrumors member

installing without password

So when I drop in the new install disk, it will ask me if I want to do a clean install ??? And that should overcome not having a password?

4. Dale Collie thread starter macrumors member

yep

OK, thanks... i'm just worried that I get to the end of install and it asks for password...I'll give it a shot. Full, clean install

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It shouldn't if you erase the disc and then do a clean install.

6. Dale Collie thread starter macrumors member

erase disk

that might e the key phrase... will set up instructinos tell me to erase, or how shud i go about that

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you boot off the install disc and continue with the install, once you get to the "Select a Destination" screen, there is an "Options" button. Click on that and you should be presented with 3 or 4 option, Erase and Install being one of them and last on the list. Select that and proceed. If anything, a password would be ask before starting anything (which I doubt you will be asked).

8. Dale Collie thread starter macrumors member

Perfect replace tiger with leopard

Thanks iLog.Genius

Perfect. Thanks for your specific instructions. If you hadn't coached me on
    "erase and install," I would probably have missed that and created a mess.
    As it is, Leopard installed perfectly, ridding us of the unknown old password, and leaping into the 21st Century.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No problem! Enjoy your Mac! :D