Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyrusOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I recently had to do a full erase and reinstall of my OSX, but since doing that i have not been able to connect from my new (reinstalled) Imac and the old because i can't remember the password, it's either that or it isn't accepting the one i think it is. Either way i cannot find a way to override this password requirement with an apple id or anything, it won't even let me request a new password to be entered etc can anybody help me with this please?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I recently had to do a full erase and reinstall of my OSX, but since doing that i have not been able to connect from my new (reinstalled) Imac and the old because i can't remember the password, it's either that or it isn't accepting the one i think it is. Either way i cannot find a way to override this password requirement with an apple id or anything, it won't even let me request a new password to be entered etc can anybody help me with this please?

I'm not sure I understand. How are you trying to "connect" the two machines that it is asking you for a password? If you are trying to run Migration Assistant again between the two machines, you don't want to do that as it would bring in all the problems you had in the other thread.

You need to boot the old machine then copy files to a USB key or external drive then move them manually to the new machine.

If you forgot the admin password on the old machine, you can reset it following this.

CyrusOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks for your reply Weaselboy. I'm sorry i didn't really explain my question very well at all in my original post.

Prior to reinstalling the OSX on my new Imac (which is all good btw) i was able to view my old Imac in the finder window panel from my new Imac, select it then it would ask if i wanted to 'share screen or connect as' i would then choose 'connect as' so i could view anything on my old Imac that i wanted or i could use it as a slave to transfer files to as a backup.

I wasn't going to transfer anything but the odd movie, song or image... nothing that should compromise the operating system on my new imac... i've learned that lesson ;)

But now when i select 'connect as' it asks me for the name and password. The name is already entered as it normally does but now the password has not been saved to the keychain like it due to the erase and reinstall. No matter what password i try it won't let me connect.... nor can i find a way to get around this password restriction.

I checked out the link you posted above but i'm not sure it will do what i need because it's not a user password issue as much as a computer password issue. i'll do it if you say it will work but i'm nervous about messing around with things too much at the moment after putting so much time into correcting my past issues

I hope this makes a heap more sense.. sorry for the poor explanation mate.

Thanks again for your help :)

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Oh okay... I see.

It sounds like you have file sharing turned on on the old machine. Look at this article and that screenshot where it shows Juan Chavez public folder and then Juan Chavez under users. On the old machine you will need whatever folders you want to share in the that shared folders list, then your user name in the Users: list. This is likely already there from before. It will be the admin password of the user in that list that you need to enter from the new machine.

That would be the password you use to login when you restart the old machine. Do you know that password? If you don't you will need to reset it with the link I provided, then restart with the new password. After that you should be able to login from the old machine with the new password.

Glad the new machine seems to working well. :)

CyrusOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Ok thanks again for your feedback mate. I have worked through your feedback and the article but for some reason it isn't working. I don't know if the username that auto-populates is wrong or if it's the password. This is totally ***** that we can't override the password problem easily with my admin login.

Any other suggestions??? I'm about ready to nuke the old computer too.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok thanks again for your feedback mate. I have worked through your feedback and the article but for some reason it isn't working. I don't know if the username that auto-populates is wrong or if it's the password. This is totally ***** that we can't override the password problem easily with my admin login.

Only other thing I can think of is to add a new user to that sharing panel with a name and password you know is correct then login to the shared point with that info?

Victry

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Somewhere in this Universe
Forgot Password

Thanks for your reply Weaselboy. I'm sorry i didn't really explain my question very well at all in my original post.

Prior to reinstalling the OSX on my new Imac (which is all good btw) i was able to view my old Imac in the finder window panel from my new Imac, select it then it would ask if i wanted to 'share screen or connect as' i would then choose 'connect as' so i could view anything on my old Imac that i wanted or i could use it as a slave to transfer files to as a backup.

I wasn't going to transfer anything but the odd movie, song or image... nothing that should compromise the operating system on my new imac... i've learned that lesson ;)

But now when i select 'connect as' it asks me for the name and password. The name is already entered as it normally does but now the password has not been saved to the keychain like it due to the erase and reinstall. No matter what password i try it won't let me connect.... nor can i find a way to get around this password restriction.

I checked out the link you posted above but i'm not sure it will do what i need because it's not a user password issue as much as a computer password issue. i'll do it if you say it will work but i'm nervous about messing around with things too much at the moment after putting so much time into correcting my past issues

I hope this makes a heap more sense.. sorry for the poor explanation mate.

Thanks again for your help :)

Resetting Lost Mac Passwords with Apple ID
This is the best approach for Mac users running new versions of OS X (Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion) because it’s extremely fast and simple. The only requirements are that you must have tied an Apple ID to a user account, and you must have internet access so that the Mac can contact Apple to initiate the reset procedure.
•From the Mac login or boot screen, enter any wrong password three times to summon the “Password Hint” box and a message saying “If you forgot your password you can reset it using your Apple ID”… click on that (>) arrow icon to start the Apple ID based reset
•Enter the Apple ID credentials, this is the same information used to log into the App Store, iTunes, and iCloud, then click “Reset Password”
•Confirm the new password and let the Mac boot as usual
That was easy, right? Indeed, the Apple ID password option is the fastest and simplest method available to Mac users, and when that option is available it’s the preferential method. But what if you don’t have an Apple ID attached to the Mac account? Or
what if you don’t remember that password either, or if there’s no internet access? If you find yourself in a situation where the Apple ID approach is not possible, don’t worry, because that’s what we’ll cover next.
Reset Mac Password – without a CD or Boot Drive Resetting a forgotten Mac password is pretty easy if you have an installer disk, drive, or the recovery partition handy, which method you use here will depend on the version of OS X the Mac is running.
For OS X Mavericks (10.9), Mountain Lion (10.8), and Lion (10.7) with Recovery Mode:
•Boot into the Mac OS X boot loader menu by holding down the OPTION key at system start
•Choose the Recovery drive to boot into recovery mode and wait until the “Utilities” screen appears
•Pull down the “Utilities” menu and choose “Terminal”
•At the command line, type “resetpassword” without the quotes
•Confirm the new account password, then reboot the Mac as usual
For Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), Leopard (10.5), and before with install DVD/CD:
•Insert the bootable DVD into the Mac and restart or start the computer
•Boot the disk by holding down the “C” key at system start
•Select your language preferences and then under the “Utilities” menu select “Password Reset” (it may say “Reset Password” instead, depends on the version of Mac OS X)
•Select the hard disk that the forgotten password is on, then select the username of the forgotten password, you’ll then be asked to select a new password
•Reboot as usual from the hard drive, using your newly reset password as the login!
This older trick is borrowed from our article on how to reset a lost password with a CD.
These boot menu methods are obviously easier than the #2 manual trick, but whether or not they will work for your depends on if you have a recovery partition (all new Macs do), or with older Macs, if you have a DVD installer laying around. Because we’ve covered solutions for every possible situation though, one of these options will work for you to reset that password and be using the Mac again.

Hope that fixes your problem. ✌✌✌✌

----------

Using a pretty nifty trick you can reset a forgotten Mac password without a Mac OS X installer CD/DVD or any kind of boot drive or recovery partiton, and without having an Apple ID. This is basically the be-all-end-all approach if nothing else works, because it’s guaranteed to get you back into a Mac when the other options are available, and it works in literally all versions of OS X. The steps may seem a little intimidating at first but I assure you it’s easy if you follow them exactly, here is exactly how to do this in three stages:
Stage 1) Boot into Single User Mode and remove a setup file
•Restart the Mac holding down the Command+S keys, this will take you into Single User Mode and it’s Terminal interface
•You’ll need to check the filesystem first:
•fsck -fy

•Next, you must mount the root drive as writeable so that changes will save:
•mount -uw /

•Now, type the following command exactly, followed by the enter key:
•rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

Victry

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Somewhere in this Universe

Think this will solve all your problems

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr...assword-with-the-os-x-reset-password-utility/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.