iPhone Lost Past VM messages on AT&T iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by raydragon, Oct 3, 2012.

1. raydragon macrumors newbie

raydragon

I received my iPhone 5 on Launch. Restored from back up with no apparent issues. Everything worked well. All my VMM, contacts, and call history restored. All my passwords restored. Until this past Sunday. I went to my VVM and was prompted for a password. Entered password and was prompted to record a greeting. Did so, and all the VM that had been there minutes prior had vanished, save for 1 (the one I was checking). Later in the day, another prompt for password and greeting.

Monday, I called AT&T "support" and was told by Oscar that I needed to reset my password (I had just done so on my AT&T account management page after receiving my 3rd prompt for a password). He then told me that my VVM was backed-up to my computer or to iCloud (I asked why, were that true, would I need to reset a password on AT&T's site - no answer given), and suggested I reset and restore. I did. Still no VVM except for 1.

Later that day I received a text survey for feedback. I gave 5's and below, and then left comments that Oscar did NOT resolve my issue, and was not even accurate in his support. Shortly after, I received a text stating that since the issue had been satisfactorily resolved it was now closed. I texted back that it was NOT resolved.

Got a call from a lady in CA a few minutes ago. She asked why I had rated Oscar so low. I told her. Over the course of our conversation, during which she got more and more angry at me, she said 1) Oscar was correct, 2) Oscar was not correct, 3) the "instructions" (???) received with my phone clearly stated that upgrading my phone would upgrade my VM (this is my 3rd iPhone, so... NO) and I should back anything important up because it would be reset, 4) I may have deleted the messages, 5) there must have been a glitch, 6) there is no recovery 7) AT&T do not have any backups/redundancy (due to either "limited storage resources" or "privacy concerns as dictated by the Federal Gov't"), and 8) VM is gone. I told her that I found it appalling that VM has no back-up, and wondered how many subs AT&T would lose if the VM system crashed. She stated they would not lose many. She then stated, angrily, that she would talk again with the "engineers", but that likely my old VM is gone for any of the above reasons.

iOS 6 glitch? AT&T issue? Recoverable?

Thanks.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Sounds like an AT&T issue. I would not bet much on them being recovered. I have not heard of iOS6 doing this.

3. Trager macrumors member

I had exactly the same experience. Further, I had to get a replacement iPhone 5 (which came in yesterday), and now my VVM has been cut down even further. After my first iPhone 5 upgrade, the hundred or so VVMs that I had stored were truncated to about 20. After the second one, I have about 6.

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I had the same issue.

From another phone, call and leave a few voice mail messages to your iPhone. It took me three tries before it corrected itself. I did not have too many VM's saved (only about 25 or so), but they were all there when it straightened out the situation.

I found this fix with a Google search. It was either an AT&T support forum or someone's personal blog.

Good luck!

5. aarmstrong27, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

Former Employee explanation

After 7 years with AT&T in sales and management, here is my explanation.

What I think happened to your phone is, in fact, an AT&T "error". Depending on how you processed your upgrade, I can almost guarantee you that your data plan changed (even if it is the same price, it more than likely required new SOC Codes for the new phone). You will be able to verify this on your next bill because your data plan charge will be split into two date ranges within the bill cycle.

It was also probably future dated to allow for shipping time, which explains why it didn't happen till a few days after you received your phone and activated it.

With AT&T, VVM is tied to the Data Plans in their system. So, when the data plan changed, your VVM was completely reset. And, unfortunately, your old VVMs are gone.

One thing you can try, though, is hold the number "1" on your dial pad till it actually calls your voicemail server, and see if they are there.

Sorry for your loss, buddy. Hopefully they are retrievable.

DISCLAIMER: As of July 2011, I no longer work for AT&T. I do not speak for them as a company, but only with my personal experience and knowledge. :)

6. Trager macrumors member

aarmstrong27, that doesn't make any sense to me, though. The last VM that remains in my account is from 9/9 -- I certainly hadn't even ordered my iPhone 5 at that point. And further, it doesn't explain why I also lost a bunch more VVMs upon switching from my original iPhone 5 to my new one (I also transferred the SIM when I did that, so it can't have to do with the SIM activation).

7. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

True. I missed that last part. What happens when you hold 1 and listen there?

----------

Also, How old were your "100 or so VVMs"? In my experience, voicemails auto-delete after a certain period of time.

8. Trager macrumors member

Some of them were pretty old, but they were all accessible through my 4S right until I upgraded to my iPhone 5. The weird thing to me seems to be that every time I activated an iPhone 5, it cut down my stored VMs by 80% or so.

----------

Oops. I forgot to respond to this. They appear to be gone, even using the old school interface. :mad: