Lost Permissions Access to Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ingenious, May 4, 2008.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I mistakenly took my account off of the access list for my internal hard drive in Sharing Prefs in System Preferences and now my MacBook Core Duo 2.0 GHz with 512 MB RAM will not boot up past the blue screens.

I've tried resetting the password with the install DVD and also the account's accesses and permissions with the install DVD, but no such luck.

Any way to fix this?

I tried to enable the root account, too, but I'm not really sure how to do that. All I did was reset its password.

I really need this to work! Help. :D

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I'd try an Archive and Install using your original system disks. That will preserve all previous user accounts (or at least there is an option to do so), and after that you should be able to boot up and retrieve all of your data.

3. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Okay, that's what I'm doing right now. I'd been hoping to avoid it, because it seemed like there should be some other way... why would it be so easy to corrupt an OS X install? :confused:

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

dunno :confused:

I've had an account or two crap out on me, for reasons I've never been able to explain. After studying for (and passing) the Comp/TIA A+ exam, I'm really kind of amazed that computers work at all ;) The list of things that have to happen to make them go boggles the mind.

so I've chalked it up to "sometimes these things happen" and vowed to keep my backups current.

5. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

There's the thing, too... we were in the process of restoring a backup to the this computer so we could begin making backups again... oh the humanity! :eek:

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

hehehe...that's the way it goes, isn't it?

best of luck to you :)