Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NuCoPro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2023
When I upgraded to the most recent IOS it proceeded to 'lose' my personal emoji that I like to use occasionally with friends & family and have had for several years. Not only can I NOT find where it went, I can't find a way to recreate it. Any thoughts??

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
When I upgraded to the most recent IOS it proceeded to 'lose' my personal emoji that I like to use occasionally with friends & family and have had for several years. Not only can I NOT find where it went, I can't find a way to recreate it. Any thoughts??
By “personal emoji” do you mean Memoji?

Go to Messages, tap the + icon, tap “More”, and you’ll see the Memoji iMessage app.

You can access Memoji stickers from the keyboard or by choosing “Stickers” in the Messages + menu.

NuCoPro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2023
That's not it. I created an emoji that looked like me when it first came out a few years ago. I don't want cartoon animals I want the one I made that people told me looked uncannily like me. If I have to remake it, fine, but I can't find how to start that process over again.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
That's not it. I created an emoji that looked like me when it first came out a few years ago. I don't want cartoon animals I want the one I made that people told me looked uncannily like me. If I have to remake it, fine, but I can't find how to start that process over again.
What you're describing sounds like a Memoji, it's a custom avatar that you create. Honestly Apple made it confusing to access or even describe how to access it. From the screen where you select various animals you should be able to get to it by hitting a different +. I was going to link the steps from the Apple website but they haven't updated them for iOS 17 yet.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
No, it was provide by Apple a couple of years ago.
Okay, definitely Memoji then. As @Paddle1 pointed out the instructions don’t really take iOS 17 into account but in Messages touch +, “Stickers,” then the Memoji sticker icon. The existing Memoji should be there, and you can create new ones using the three dots (…) button.

NuCoPro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2023
Thanks! I followed your instructions and did find my personal emoji. After doing that it does show up if I go to 'Stickers'. However, it used to just be there when I hit the emoji icon. Yet another example of Apple taking the "It ain't broke, but let's 'fix' it anyway!" approach to upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.