Lost photos from albums?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NVJAY775, Jan 4, 2010.

1. NVJAY775 macrumors newbie

I'm using 8.1.1 on a macbook and am a mac noob to a certain extent. Actually I'm not all that great on computers in general, so please bear with me.

I made new albums in iphoto and cut and pasted pics from photos to the albums. Some albums, in which I made copies to discs for jobs, now have no pics in them. The albums are still there, but are empty. Some folders that I didn't make discs from are missing pics also, while others have pics???? And I can't copy and paste anything back into them. Weird... So....... What did I mess up?

I thought all was good when doing the work and deleted pics from photos, just to tidy up a bit. They are now in the trash.

I'm a bit nervous to do anything more in fear of losing more. It's kind of a pain, because I am super buried in work and am short on time, but I need the photos back to make more cd copies for insurance companies, vendors blablablabla... So I have to just quit whining and get it done. But I have the willies about messing up. My time machine is not setup because It can't find an apple device to backup or something? My verbage is probably off there.

Thanks much everyone!
    Jay

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Albums do not contain the actual photos themselves, only aliases (links, if you will) to the actual photos. So, deleting them from the albums does not do anything to the photo itself. When you deleted from the library, you deleted from the library AND the album. So, you are not tidying anything up at all, just deleting your photos.

Drag your photos out of the trash onto your desktop and then reimport them inti iPhoto. Hopefully that will at least get them back.

Then, recreate your albums to use as you want. Just remember, you are only dragging "links" to you photos into the albums, not the real photos.

3. NVJAY775 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! I'll get on that. I knew I messed up somewhere lol...