Lost photos - Help please

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yani2k8, Feb 21, 2010.

1. yani2k8 macrumors member

yani2k8

Hi all

I recently formatted my mac but completely forgot to backup my iphoto library. So now I've got all my photos on my iphone. Is there a way to get them back onto my computer?

Thanks!

2. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

when you sync your iphone you can import then straight into iphoto...

3. yani2k8 thread starter macrumors member

yani2k8

I just synced the phone with my mac. The photos on the iphone did not get deleted but they didn't get transferred to the computer either.

Thanks

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Here's the deal:

You're mostly screwed because the iPhone save small down-rezzed versions of the photos. They're only meant to be viewed on the iPhone's small screen.

I just ran a test and my original 3.5 MB photos comes out as a 111 KB file on the iPhone. Here's the difference:

[​IMG]
    (This example is scaled down from the original so it will fit on this page. But the proportions are the same so you get the idea. The photos you'll get off the iPhone will be 640 pixels wide.

I've said it a million times. The iPhone is not a backup device. If you have ANY way of having a repair facility open up your old computer and getting the data off the drive, that would be far, far better for you. (As I understand it, though, that's super expensive, so that's probably not an actual options.)

So if the iPhone really is your last hope, you CAN get the photos off of it using the Mac program called Phone View. That will do it, but you'll only be getting those tiny photos back. From now on I suggest using a firewire drive with Time Machine so you don't end up in this situation in the future.

5. troop231 macrumors 603

Agreed, external HDD's are a must have for computers.