Lost Photos in iPhoto after backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by veraazhou, Dec 21, 2013.

1. veraazhou macrumors newbie

Hello, so i just bought this new external hard disk, and i did a backup for my macbook pro using Time Machine.
    But afterward, my photos in iPhoto are all gone, and it even asked me for a new iPhoto Library folder.
    But i'm pretty sure my photos are there somewhere, because in my macbook storage, it still shows large numbers of GBs, which are no longer marked as picture as before, it is written as "backup" in pink colour, and then i turned off the time machine, the storage of those files go to "Other" in yellow.
    In my external hard disk backups data, i have searched for my original photos , and what is in the "User/Picture/iPhoto Library" are just some files with extensions, no photos to be found.
    The same things happen when i tried to search for those original photos in my mac too.
    Please help me!:(:(:(:(

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Before the problem began, where were you storing your photos?

If you were storing them in the iPhoto Library, where was that stored? Usually it's in your home directory Pictures folder. Is it still there? If so, then quit iPhoto, and then double-click open it while holding down the option key. You should see an option to manually locate the iPhoto Library; do so and proceed. If it doesn't show in the list, there should be a "locate" button or something to use.