Lost photos

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by .ben, Sep 19, 2012.

1. .ben macrumors newbie

I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS6 this afternoon, and all of my photos disappeared. Is there any other way to get them back?

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Did you back up your phone?

3. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

They had to reload for me, took about an hour.

4. xxscott05xx macrumors newbie

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. They eventually showed up.

6. brucemir macrumors newbie

photos

I had 25000 K photos on my ipad 3 and after installing IOS 6 they eventually restored (took 12 hours) but they were all reloaded into one HUGE folder, not into individual folders (about 75 folders) like before. I tried to import them again and all of the folders loaded but half of them are empty. I have tried 3 times over the last 24 hours. I am done trying to use itunes to import them, I am going to use the app "My Photos" and manually create folders and use the itunes app file sharing and do it that way. It will take time to do it but at least it will get done to my satisfaction . ****** using itunes to import them again. i have wasted enough of my time time

7. biobyte macrumors newbie

sometimes I miss my Psion organiser . . . or a pen and notebook! Ahh well . . .

Hmmmm . . . I'm pleased. Well, of course I'm not pleased that it happened to you. But I'm pleased to find I am not the only person experiencing something like this. I upgraded to iO6 quite smoothly after backing up everything that seemed important that I could think of.

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but on iO5 I had lots of photo files. Some you could add to, some you couldn't (some mystic apple idea about where you created them I think). After the upgrade, a massive number of folders had vanished. I don't know if they are somewhere in my camera roll - it is too large to search easily on existing software.

One somehow assumes that Apple at least look after their own idiosyncratic ideas more or less forced on us when we buy the product. It is very hard to get into the 'works' (as one can to an extent with Micro$oft products) and see what does what and why. So when it goes t*ts up we're all at sea.

I've now installed lots of 3rd party software on my Mac - iExplorer being the best and most stable of the bunch so far - but the moral I guess is maybe don't rely on anything. Always have two ways of achieving what you really need to achieve in case one breaks.