Lost pics on iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bonkey, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Bonkey macrumors newbie

I opened up my iPhoto today and realized that the last 1.5 years of pics are gone.:confused: I have no idea what has happened. My 3 year old twins occasionally will get a hold of my laptop and press tons of buttons, but I really don't think they are at fault here.
    Is there anything I should do to find them? I will make an appt at our Apple Store on Sunday, but I was really hoping to recover them on my own. Has anyone else experienced this? I am running Leopard.
    Thanks!:)

2. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

Did you check the trash IN iPhoto? Not the one on your desktop, the one inside the iPhoto window. it's located on the left side of the iPhoto main window.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I do. Maybe that's me. It's also a little bit your fault for not watching/password protecting, but it's no big deal.

You'll probably want to password protect from now on. ;) Check your iPhoto trash like PrinceOfEgypt said.

4. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Maybe they got moved. Check your photo folder in your home folder or search for them using spotlight.

6. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

You have made my day! :D I can see all of the pics, and finder says it is in my iPhoto library, but when I look in iPhoto I can't see them. How strange. Any ideas?

7. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Great to hear and I am glad to help!!!:)

As for why that happened, I am not sure. Try adding them back into iPhoto by importing them from that folder. That should probably do the trick!!

Let me know if that works or doesn't work.

8. TranceNW macrumors regular

Glad you found them :) but moral of the story?

Backup!

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try opening iPhoto while holding the option key and then choose the iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder.

10. Slowstick macrumors 6502

That right! :) Pictures these important should always be saved on a disc or hard drive. You should also always have a complete backup of your computer.

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

Does your 3 year old know how to log into your account with your user name and password. I kind of doubt it so it's likely not something one of them did.

Time machine is the first place I's look. See it it's there.

After that do a spotlight search. Spotlight will fine the file it is is on the disk.

Likely they are just in the trash. This is them #1 most common why data is lost. People think of hard drive crashes but that is way down the list. A common mistake, one that it sounds like may have happened is your hit "command A" which does a select-all and then hit the delete key. If so the data should still be in the trash.

If you care about this data you need a backup plan. Any plan can work that meets these two rules
    (1) The data should always exist on at least three different physical media and
    (2) The data should always exist in at least two differnt geographical locations
    that's the minimums and without it the chances of data lasting 25 years is about nill.

12. M3noyd macrumors newbie

Heya Bonkey,

i think i know how to get your pictures back, before you open Iphoto hold down cntrl, option and the apple key until iphoto pop's up with a second window in it were u can find a few option to rebuild your library

enjoy

13. Bonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

So I took my macbook to the genius bar today and the data base is corrupted. Tomorrow we are going to try and rebuild it. Thanks for all of your help! I do have a back-up from 4 months ago, but I am pretty sure the rebuild will work, the guy said he could see all of the pics.

We tried this at the apple store and it didn't work. Thanks anyway!:D