Lost PPPoE connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xstux, Dec 1, 2008.

1. xstux macrumors newbie

I had a power cut in my apartment this morning. When I turned my imac back on I couldn't re-connect to the internet. It just kept saying "Could not find PPPoE server".

I checked the system preferences and everything seemed normal. ADSL monitor said that the modem was working fine. I restarted the computer and this time when I went to system preferences the "location" of my PPPoE had been erased. The only option I had was the "automatic" location. So, I reinstalled the drivers and set the connection back up again, but nothing. The modem works fine on my PC (on which I'm typing this).

Any ideas??

I using a Sagem Fast 800 USB modem (not ideal i kniow but that's all I have access to) with the latest drivers on a imac running the latest OS.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Try repairing permissions with disk utility. You could also try locating the preferences for the modem and deleting them (not sure where they would be stored).

Does the modem have an ethernet port or is it USB only?

3. xstux thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for advice. I've repaired the permissions but still nothing.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers over and over but to no avail.

The modem is USB only.

4. xstux thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, after hours of trying everything I could think of I decided to give up. After an hour or so I came back and thought I'd give it one last try. I disconnected the modem for the hundredth time and reconnected clicked connect and lo-and-behold the internet connected.

The mind boggles. Can anyone throw any light on this? I think it's time for a new modem.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I couldn't really say except USB modems are garbage. Have your carrier provide you with a proper Ethernet model that takes care of all the configurations itself. So that you can just plug in any computer or router and have it work immediately without having to install any special software or futzing with the settings.