"Lost" Printer (Brother HL-2270dw)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GuyInTheBack, Sep 14, 2011.

1. GuyInTheBack macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

I've tried to reset it to factory settings but it just won't detect.

It did initially but then I restarted my router's factory settings in an attempt to set up the printer wirelessly and since then...ziltch.

Not by ethernet or over wi-fi, it doesn't even appear on the "shared network". I've attempted to use the software that came with it, to no avail. It just won't detect. Even if directly connected to my computer!

I've even factory restored the printer itself. Nope.

(And I know that the printer still works because the test pages come out flawlessly).

2. darster Suspended

Did you happen to upgrade to Lion? If so, you likely need to get new drivers for your printer from that printer's web site.

3. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

Well I am operating Lion but that initial, fleeting install that did work, was on the Lion osx. There was no installation in-between...Is that still something you think a driver could fix?

4. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If your computer can't detect the printer even when it's connected directly, there might indeed be a problem with the printer. Just because the printer can print test pages doesn't mean there's not something wrong elsewhere with the printer.

I think I'd try it with a different computer (Even if it's a Windows machine). If you don't have one take it to a friend's and hook it up to see if it will install correctly. Then you can at least be sure that the printer itself is not the problem.

6. Acorn, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

this is how i re-set up our printer. first uninstall current printer driver.
    on our printer there is 2 ways in can connect, through a internet cable or wifi. the important thing i discovered is on our printer both wifi and cable dont work at the same time. so if your initial set up is for a network cable connection and the wifi of the printer is on it wont see it. the same is for the reverse. if you are doing a wireless printer setup you need to make sure the wireless is actually active on the printer not the cable connection.

on our printer to check the mode you hold down the printer button for 15 seconds. it will print the current mode (wifi or cable). if you do this a second time the mode will switch.

for me what i did was set the printer to wired network.
    start the setup for *wireless* setup and driver install. then choose cable configuration. hook your printer with a cable up to the router. it should detect the settings if your printer if its NOT set to wifi. it will tell you to disconnect cable and it will continue with the driver install for wifi. at the end it will print a test page wireless. it will switch the printer mode to wifi automagically. all other computers in the house do a driver install only.

our printers are obviously different but maybe it will help somehow to see how mine is set up.