Lost push functionality for Yahoo Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ks-man, Jul 28, 2008.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

My yahoo mail used to be pushed to my iphone. I've recently lost that feature. There are 2 main changes with how I've been using my iphone and I was wondering if anybody knew if either of these could be the culprit.

1) I turned off 3G b/c I was getting tons of dropped calls

2) I did a restore to factory settings

Basically I'm wondering if push needs 3G or if perhaps the restore changed a setting that is required for push on Yahoo. I still have push set to on and fetch is on manual. This is how I was set before when it did work, however now I need to go into my e-mail and it then downloads all my messages (basic fetch functionality).

Any ideas on how to get push working again would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. acjrocks macrumors member

Well I just started messing with this Yahoo PUSH feature on the iPhone and I had the same issue as you. It worked at first, but then it didn't work anymore. And after some testing, I THINK I may know why.

When I initially added my Yahoo account on the iPhone, I was on the 3G network. I tested by sending myself emails from another email address. It worked perfectly. Pushed it just fine.

Then I decided to go back to EDGE to save some battery. Well, that's when it stopped working. No matter how many emails I sent myself, they just weren't being pushed to my phone. Wtf? So I went back to 3G to see if it only works with 3G, and it still didn't work!

So deleted my Yahoo account and readded it while on 3G again. Voila! It works again. Went back to EDGE, and guess what, it didn't work again!

So then I tried removing my Yahoo account again, but this time readding it while on EDGE for testing. Voila! It worked flawlessly. Pushing my email just fine. Then I jumped over to 3G, and well, it stopped working!

So the switching of data networks messes with the link to the iPhone from the server. And it makes sense. Every time you switch networks, you are losing your IP address, and when you get on the other network, you get a new IP address. And if you decide to go back to the initial network, you aren't going to get the same IP as before.

So maybe when you create your Yahoo account on the phone, it sends your current IP and records it, so when you receive email on the server, it pushes to that saved IP. But since you are switching data networks and changing IP addresses at the same time, the server doesn't have a record of your new IP address.

My god! I think I got it! haha. If this is in fact true, that's a bad way to do PUSH. Can anyone give their input on what I have stated? Who knows if this is the same with MobileMe. It definitely affects Yahoo though.

4. kis macrumors 65816

yahoo push email never worked for me - even on the old phone it'd work for a couple of hours and then stop working.

My advice: get yourself a free mail2web.com account and use DirectPush instead, that's very reliable.

5. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

my yahoo account often just searches and doesn't stop. Have to turn it off and on to fix. Push is no more reliable.

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Unfortunately yahoo push just doesn't really work. I've had it since the first phone and it's on and off. All I can suggest is to restart the mail program to re-sync and see if that helps.

7. gowanis macrumors 6502

i have a 1st Gen iPhone and Yahoo push no longer works for me...

8. poolish macrumors regular

i tried out yahoo push as well, with my gmail forwarded to it, it worked fine for a bit, like you said, but then push just stopped.
    i had my uni exchange account set up at the same time and that pushes perfectly still. so i just forward my gmail to my uni account. which works perfectly. nice
    guess that makes sense about the yahoo thing when you switch from 3g to edge, but i dont get 3g here at all so maybe it was just when i went from wifi to edge.. not sure?
    dont know why exchange should work but yahoo not though.

9. Fuj macrumors newbie

I remember a speech Jobs gave before the first iPhone came out where he told everyone about Yahoo push and other push services to be just like the blackberry - what happened? Where is the accountability? Now you have to pay for mobileme and those were just lies. Anyone have the quicktime file from the first keynote announcing the iphone? I'd like to get some soundbites on that!

10. acjrocks macrumors member

Seems to work fine with exchange when switching data networks. I think maybe Yahoo is just implemented the wrong way.

11. FJR macrumors regular

I don't think this is it. It has only sporadically worked on my 2G.