Lost screw 13"mbp: now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by masse, Jul 31, 2009.

1. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

So while throwing a 500gb hdd in my girlfriends shiny new macbookpro, I was smart enough to lose one of her screws. Looked for hours and can't find it.

Now I'm not about to make an appointment, go to the apple store, pay 20 bucks for a two cent screw.

It's one of the short (ie not the three long ones in the back corner) screws from the bottom case (3mm) I think.

Any suggestions on where I can pick one up? I might just give her one of my screws in the meantime.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I believe ifixit.com sells those. :)

Edit: It looks like they only sell sets for $60! :eek: :(

3. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

This doesn't help you much. But how hard were your screws to get off? I couldn't get mine. Also the one time I lost something like that the apple guy just gave me one. I had a few lost keys so was pretty cool didn't cost a thing.

4. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Just go to an Apple store and request a free screw. Do not pay Fixit that kind of money --it's preposterous.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I've seen screw sets on eBay, but typically not for less than ~$15-20 shipped, which makes it a costly mistake. Try to place the screws in a better place next time! :eek:

6. MacMur macrumors regular

Here's hoping that it isn't still inside the computer? Just trying to send along some cheerful news.

7. thespazz macrumors 6502a

8. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

For future reference, contact lens cases work well to put the screws in and then put the top on them when you're not directly using the screws, to prevent problems with those oafy moments.

9. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

Hey thanks guys. Still not sure how I lost it. Going to apple store tomorrow.

10. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

:D i did the exact same thing when installing a new Seagate 7200rpm 500 Gb HD into my MBP. Since there is no Apple Store here in Stockholm, I will have to go to one of the authorized repair centers and see if I can get one from them. What really sucks (besides losing the screw) is that the Seagate drive won't install in my MBP. Damned EFI firmware 1.7 update!

11. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

she got the WD scorpio blue. All is well except the screw ha.

I was very focused on swapping the HDD out because I promised 5 minutes, then I started thinking about losing screws and instantly one popped out and disappeared in a great sea of carpet. I scanned the carpet with a big magnet, found nothing. I vacuumed and scanned through the dust and crap with a magnet and found nothing. Case closed it vanished.

Thanks for the reply's.

12. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

having hasd a problem with a stripped head before and going to a local mac shop they usually have a wide selection of extra screws