Lost screw in Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macuser1232, Aug 5, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hey I was replacing my graphics card when I was putting the only screw I needed to unscrew back it fell somewhere and I can't see it anywhere. I have a small idea of where it is but I can unscrew the small screws to check. Will this screw do any harm? I have three other screws that I can use to replace it and I'm going to a hardware store to get another one.

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

It is not a good idea to have loose screws in a computer case, there is always a chance they may short or ground out some electronic component.
    Having said that, I must admit to being guilty of this myself, and got away with it.
    YMMV.

3. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Since you said you lost it when replacing the graphics card i am assuming that the screw is under the motherboard? If so I wouldn't really worry about it but if you can tilt the computer and try to get it out. If not no sweat, besides I have never heard of a powermac g4 blowing a capacitor due to a screw being lodged in the case under the motherboard.

4. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Ok I found it the screw! Would it be too much of a risk to make a paper clip magnetic and get it? I don't think it's close to any motherboard parts.

5. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

go for it

6. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

It's not actually under the mother board. I will upload a picture of where it fell down and how you can see it from the outside.

7. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

ok

8. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

For some reason Mac Rumors wouldn't let me upload them as an attachment because I have other MacRumors windows open even though I don't anymore so here is a link to the pics.

The first picture is where it fell down the hole. The second picture where the screw is from an outside view.

http://i.imgur.com/vPxAr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tkX1k.jpg

9. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

by any means go for it you are in no danger of damaging anything so feel free to go head first to get the screw out

10. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I'll try one more time turning it to see if it will fall out. If that fails then I will magnetize the paperclip to see if I can get it out.

----------

UGH! It's not working! If I could take the plastic off on the side I could get it but I know I can't. It stuck!

11. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Why not ?
    Just undo the 4 hex-screws and jiggle the plastic a bit (or a bit more) till it gets loose at the :apple:

O.k. looked at the pics, it not the sidepanel you where talking about ..... but I'm sure it can still be dismantled. Having a srew rattling in a computer is never a good idea.

12. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Looks like im gonna need to buy some hex screwdrivers. Thanks!

----------

No, It just really well lodged in a corner.

----------

I GOT IT OUT!!! I just tilted it and then opened it up and found the screw!! yay!

13. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

WTF ????

You might to need to buy a screwdriver fitting whatever screws are holding the back-plastic of your mac...

A quick look behind my Quicksilver didn't reveal any screws at all :eek: