Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aljawad

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Yes, the latest episode (#8 - the last one before the hiatus) isn't out yet :mad:

Strange, considering that the previous few weeks each episode was made available online as soon as it was broadcast in Hawaii :confused:

aljawad

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Even though Apples official line is that TV shows should become available for download the day after the broadcast on TV, they might on occasions be a little late. I've been a regular iTunes TV shows customer since fall 2005, and I do remember certain times when the availability of the episodes were delayed by a couple of days.

Kinda disappointing considering that in such instances it would seem that everyone around you is discussing the latest episode of that hot TV show that you are crazy about - except for you :p

UPDATE: OK, I woke up to find the episode is available for download, roughly 24 hours after its TV broadcast. Also, I find an email from Apple "apologizing" for the short season of "Prison Break" (due to the recent writers strike), and since I paid for a season pass for what eventually proved to be a short season (13 episodes), Apple credited my account with $16.36 + 2 video credit units :)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
This weeks episode of Lost still is not on iTunes :(

I noticed that too. I bought all four seasons yesterday and was surprised that on the fourth season, it is not a season pass. I guess that when new episodes come in, I will have to buy them.

I heard an interview a few days ago from one of the actresses from Lost and she mentioned that there will be only 16 episodes this season due to the strike.

aljawad

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Hexonxonx: I'm also puzzled by the lack of the season pass option for "Lost" this year, but I think this is related to the strike as you mentioned. You see when the season premiered this year while the strike was still ongoing, 8 episodes of the season were already produced and apparently Apple was reluctant to put a price tag on the show when no one really knew how long the season will be. Other shows suffered from a reduced number of episodes and Apple had to issue a refund to those who initially paid the full rate; it happened to me with Prison Break.

About the show itself, in previous years each season of "Lost" spanned some 22+ episodes running from September thru May with many repeats in the middle. Last years season had a long 3-months hiatus around the Holiday season, many viewers got bored. A year ago the shows producers announced that their initial plan for "Lost" was to tell the story within a 100-episode time frame. Ordinarily that could be the equivalent of around 4 / 5 seasons, but they revealed that the rest of the story will be told in three remaining seasons, each one of which will be 16-episodes long running continuously starting from January (kinda like the show "24"). This year, however, at the time when the strike started in November, 8 of the episodes were already in the cans and the question became what to do afterwards. After the end of the strike it was decided to summarize the remaining part of the season to 5 episodes only in order to finish on the original time frame. Since then it was announced that an extra hour will be added to this season for a total of 14 hours. "Lost" certainly didn't suffer as much from the strike as other shows on TV: "Heroes" wrapped the season after 11 episodes, "Prison Break" lasted 13 episodes, and "24" was altogether postponed to next year.

Lexus: yeah, I know :( The thing is I now rely on iTunes for most of my TV viewing habits and usually during the weekend. It appears we have to wait for the week to start before someone posts the episode to iTunes :rolleyes:

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Hexonxonx: I'm also puzzled by the lack of the season pass option for "Lost" this year, but I think this is related to the strike as you mentioned. You see when the season premiered this year while the strike was still ongoing, 8 episodes of the season were already produced and apparently Apple was reluctant to put a price tag on the show when no one really knew how long the season will be. Other shows suffered from a reduced number of episodes and Apple had to issue a refund to those who initially paid the full rate; it happened to me with Prison Break.

About the show itself, in previous years each season of "Lost" spanned some 22+ episodes running from September thru May with many repeats in the middle. Last years season had a long 3-months hiatus around the Holiday season, many viewers got bored. A year ago the shows producers announced that their initial plan for "Lost" was to tell the story within a 100-episode time frame. Ordinarily that could be the equivalent of around 4 / 5 seasons, but they revealed that the rest of the story will be told in three remaining seasons, each one of which will be 16-episodes long running continuously starting from January (kinda like the show "24"). This year, however, at the time when the strike started in November, 8 of the episodes were already in the cans and the question became what to do afterwards. After the end of the strike it was decided to summarize the remaining part of the season to 5 episodes only in order to finish on the original time frame. Since then it was announced that an extra hour will be added to this season for a total of 14 hours. "Lost" certainly didn't suffer as much from the strike as other shows on TV: "Heroes" wrapped the season after 11 episodes, "Prison Break" lasted 13 episodes, and "24" was altogether postponed to next year.
Well, I'm just about at the end of season 1 so I still have two other seasons to get through before the fourth. I still would like to see the latest episodes added because I do all my TV viewing through iTunes since I work nights. I actually didn't even know there was a show called Lost till this thread popped up a few months back.

As for the show 24, I am seriously considering purchasing that next, it sounds good. Have you kept up with it and do you recommend it?

aljawad

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Lexus: What can I say ... :confused: its highly irregular to have to wait 4+ days for an episode to be listed. I think a feedback email to Apple is in order :mad:

Hexonxonx: Go for it ... :cool: "24" is like the best parts of a James Bond movie that keeps going and going ... :D And needless to say you should start from season 1.

A word of advice: unlike other shows where episodes may be watched and enjoyed individually once a week, "24" is highly addictive once you start watching!!! In fact I usually wait until the end of the season to download the entire 24 episodes so I may watch them at a rate of 2, sometimes 3 episodes a day. But there are extremes: last year a fella at work actually finished the entire season in two days :eek: At 45 minutes an episode, that added up to a solid 9 hours of TV watching per day - not to mention other daily chores like working, spending some quality time with the family, eating, sleeping ... :rolleyes:

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Episode 10 is finally posted.

As for 24, I love these addicting shows and seeing that there are six seasons of 24, well, :D what can I say, iTunes is there for us!

Enjoy the shows! I'm off to buy the first two seasons of 24.

aljawad

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2004
Planet Earth
So I woke up this morning and there it is finally: episode 10/4 of "Lost" on iTunes! :eek: The episode downloaded while I did my morning routine, copied it to my iPhone, and I just finished watching it over my lunch break. Isn't the iTunes revolution wonderful :D

Hexonxonx: Enjoy your "24" viewing (indulgence?) Plz let us know what you think about it. One thing that distinguishes DVD releases from the online releases are the freebies (extra material, behind the scenes / deleted scenes, bloopers, ... etc.) that are usually offered with the former. maybe Apple should test market selling them on iTunes - say for the usual 2 dollars fare :apple:

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
So I woke up this morning and there it is finally: episode 10/4 of "Lost" on iTunes! :eek: The episode downloaded while I did my morning routine, copied it to my iPhone, and I just finished watching it over my lunch break. Isn't the iTunes revolution wonderful :D

Hexonxonx: Enjoy your "24" viewing (indulgence?) Plz let us know what you think about it. One thing that distinguishes DVD releases from the online releases are the freebies (extra material, behind the scenes / deleted scenes, bloopers, ... etc.) that are usually offered with the former. maybe Apple should test market selling them on iTunes - say for the usual 2 dollars fare :apple:

Well it will be awhile before I get to 24, I'm into season 2 of Lost right now and I just want to keep watching that till I'm all caught up. Besides, my DSL is so slow, it will take two days to download two seasons of 24. And I prefer to simply buy the seasons from iTunes because I don't have to worry about storing all these DVDs. Last box set I ever bought was the X-Files and that was huge.

aljawad

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Lexus: What can I say ... :confused: its highly irregular to have to wait 4+ days for an episode to be listed. I think a feedback email to Apple is in order

OK, so I did email Apple about the problem yesterday, but since the episode was available this morning I forgot about it ... untill just a while ago when I received a reply; a part of which is enclosed here:

"I understand you would like to download the latest episode of "LOST" on your iTunes Store account "xxxxxxxxxxxx." I certainly understand your concern when you found that the episode was not available for purchase on the iTunes Store 4 days after the air date on television. My name is xxxxxxx and I assure you I am more than happy to help.

Generally, the television networks provide Apple with the latest episode of each show within 24 hours of the original air time. Occasionally, there can be a delay.

You can rest assured that Apple is working to make this episode available on the iTunes Store as soon as possible.

I have issued 2 video credits to your account "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" as a token of my appreciation for your patience regarding this matter. You can use these credits to purchase any single episode of a television show or any music video. If you do not see your credits applied to your account, please sign out and sign back in. The credits will be posted on the top right hand corner of the screen next to your account name."

Isn't Apple great! :D

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Sorry for the bump :eek:

EVERYONE at work is talking about Lost - and I've always waited for the DVD to sit and watch it from start-finish - but today I can't turn a corner without people talking about the last episode... (aired in the UK).

So I've looked at iTunes, but its not available as a Season Pass? I really want to buy them all and watch them ASAP... I understand that there are only 3 episodes left... so does anyone think they'll be a season pass anytime soon?

Thanks.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I don't know why they aren't doing season pass for Lost this year. I agree it sucks. Maybe the problems with getting the new episodes on within 24 hours has something to do with it. In the past, if Apple missed that mark, they will give you a free download. But without season passes, they don't have to give refunds.

Another possibility is that it is ABC's call. They get more $$$ if they don't allow season passes, and with LOST being so successful, they may want to force you to buy each episode.

It's working for me... I'm still buying each episode, though I think its still a douchebag thing to do. Still, LOST is worth it. :)

aljawad

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2004
Planet Earth
OK, I just checked the (US) iTunes store and ... SURPRISE: Lost S4 season pass for $26.99!

The UK store, however, still lists the episodes individually :( But you guys have Heroes & House MD :eek:

Patience is a virtue, and now I hear HBO programing might be coming to an iTunes store near you :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.