Lost series file sizes!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Earley008, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Earley008 macrumors member

I am importing DVDs to iTunes and i have a the first three series of Lost and will be getting the 4th for xmas.

I was looking at ripping these and i was wondering else if anyone else who had done this could tell me the file size. I have been using Apple TV preset in handbrake with a 2000 bitrate but for these i may consider going to 1500 as on my mac screen i can not notice a difference.

Thanks for your time

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i use 2500 bitrate and average 800-900 MB per episode.

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Get the latest version of HandBrake - 0.9.3 - and play around with the constant rate quality settings to see how low you can get it before the loss of quality starts to bother you. The latest version does a really great job.

If you do decide to go with a low constant bit rate, use 2-pass encoding. You'll get better quality at the lower bit rates that way (but not really worth it when using the Apple TV preset).

4. mallbritton macrumors 6502

I encode most of my videos at 1800 kbps which results in file sizes approximately 700mb in size. This kbps looks great on my 32" HDTV, if yours bigger I suggest you use higher bit rates.

Regards,
    Michael