Lost Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hrudd, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hrudd macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP from my friend so first thing i did was clear the Hard drive. However I didnt realize that by doing so I would remove the Snow Leopard upgrade. Is there any way for me to get Snow Leopard back without going out and purchasing it? And no I didnt perform a backup because there was nothing of mine to keep. :(

Is it worth the upgrade to Snow leopard and then Lion? Will it make my Summer 2009 13in 2.2ghz slow?

If its worth it what would be the easiest/cheapest way to upgrade?

Thanks

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. hrudd thread starter macrumors newbie

Lion

Gotta get Snow to get lion correct?

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No. I'm pretty sure you can get Lion in an Apple store. In another few weeks, they will have it on usb stick for $69. Until then, they might let you pay $29 and put it on your own stick if you bring one. As far as I can tell, Apple is NOT asking Leopard users to pay $60 to get Lion but of course the easiest way to get it is to buy it in the App Store in SL, however depending on your internet connection the download can be rather slow.

Maybe it's Comcast or maybe it's Apple's servers, but it seemed to take even longer than the last time I downloaded an iOS SDK. This is part of the reason I'm sure you can walk in to an Apple store and get it there via some sort of locally cached download. There won't be any physical Lion media available from Apple until next month when they start selling usb sticks for $69. It is very easy to make your own usb stick or DVD after you download but before you install Lion as the 3.7 GB "recovery partition" dmg file gets deleted after Lion installs. Instructions for making your own Lion install media are available over at ars and it does not violate Apple's EULA as long as you paid for it in the app store and only install it on computers you "own or control." Try updating iTunes to 10.4 and see if you can buy it in there. It will be associated with your Apple ID at that point.

I know that installing Lion requires an update to the SL migration assistant and I don't know if that same update has been back ported to Leopard yet. That could be a reason you couldn't update even if you had a usb stick or dvd.

5. hrudd thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried no luck they say I have to get Snow then Lion so is there anyway to get my Snow back?

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Get the SL disk from your friend who gave you the mac.