Lost SnowLeopard DVD - Need FileMerge

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I lost my SL DVD and I need the developers tools off it, specifically FileMerge so I can do some diffs.

Is there a way to get this without buying a new DVD? Since it's part of SL, and I clearly am running SL, could someone maybe email it to me or something?

I've tried to download it from Apple's website but it's not around.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As you own a legit Snow Leopard license, you could just download the whole SL DMG from a torrent site. While I don't know the legal details, it shouldn't matter how you obtain the media as long as you have paid for it. I don't see any moral issues either plus it wouldn't be any different if I ripped the DVD and then emailed it to you.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not only is downloading the OS via a torrents illegal, it is also a very bad idea. Now get this: If it doesn't come from Apple, then you have absolutely no idea what you are getting. Remember that we recently had a slew of security issues with trojans masquerading as illegal iWork downloads. A trojan masquerading as an illegal MacOS X download can do ever so much more damage.

Xcode is now available on the Mac Application Store as fee-based software. Pay for it and then download it. At $4.99 US, the OP can afford it.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as you check the comments, there won't be a problem. SL torrents have been there for two years soon so if the torrent has malware in it, people would have reported it in the comments a long time ago. Besides, the trojan would have to be installed separately like in the iWork case, requiring admin's password. Nothing to worry about torrents unless you are simply dumb.

If Xcode includes what OP needs, then it might be a better choice though.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the price of SL, I'd say pony up the 29 bucks. I personally wouldn't use a torrent site either but that's my personal preference.