Lost some sounds on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Crazy Badger, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

This is just strange, and I'm struggling to get my head around it!

My partner has been using my old iPhone 4S since I got a 5 at launch, and it's been fine other than replacing a cracked screen.

A couple of weeks ago she was complaining that she couldn't hear a video I'd added to a shared iCloud but I didn't think anything of it. She was trying to show me another video she'd taken last weekend, and it played without any sound.

I've spent a little time fiddling with it, and whilst it's fine for making calls and for some app sounds, I don't get any sound from the Music app or for any video. It plays through the headphone jack, but nothing from the speaker.

I also noticed that when the headphones are plugged in, using the volume buttons brings up a volume bar, but when the headphones are unplugged the volume buttons don't do anything anymore.

I've done some googling, and some threads seem to suggest a problem with the dock connector and the phone thinking it's docked, but not seemed to have a solution. The phone charges OK through the dock, and syncs with iTunes.

I'll probably upgrade to a 6 in a month or two so she can have my 5, but would be good to try and get the 4S working again as a backup.

Help!

2. akhilleus macrumors member

Is the speaker playing tones (ringtones, emails, texts, etc)?

I had a problem similar to this with my 3GS and it ended up being the death of that phone. Don't know if it's something that happens to all versions, but knowing if it's happening to just videos or if it's happening to tones too. Can you/she hear thru the receiver on phone calls?

3. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

It's weird, and I'm still stuglling to get a definitive understand of what will and won't play. I think it thinks that the volume is muted but no controls to unmute or turn up.

Phone rings (built-in ring tone) and you can have a conversation. Alarm sound is still working (another custom ring tone). Have the Withings Baby Monitor app which is working, and some games, but the music app, video app, videos recorded in the photo app have no sound, or volume slider to turn it up using the side buttons.

Can't find anything in the settings, but it's almost like something has it muted. Very strange :(