Lost sound through speakers...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mach42006, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mach42006 macrumors member

I went to turn the volume on my MBP up today (it's only ~3 months old, running Leopard), and the little volume image that comes up had the speaker image grayed out, and the little "no" circle displayed. However when I plug in headphones, they work fine, and the audio controls are fully functional. Sans headphones though, it's as if the drivers for my MBP speakers have disappeared. I've never had any issues with the audio controls or speakers on my computer. I often use headphones or have the speakers muted, as I take the computer with me to class. This is my first Mac, and this is the first problem I have encountered with it. I've gone into Preferences > Sound > Output, and the only thing displayed is 'Digital Out', so it appears the internal speakers have disappeared.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? How do I reinstall the driver (assuming it's that easy), or solve the problem otherwise? And any insight as to why this may have happened would be helpful as well. Again, this is my first Mac, so I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to troubleshooting, and the location and installing of drivers and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if more information is needed.

2. mach42006 thread starter macrumors member

problem solved. There was a red light on inside of the headphone port, I inserted the headphones and removed them several times, and the light went out, then my speakers started working again. Weird...

3. bslax28 macrumors member

i have had htis exact same problem ever since i installed the leopard update (coincidence, perhaps?). plugging in headphones a few times did not solve the problem and i do not know what to do. i'm studying abroad in italy and do not have my os x cd's to re-install. does anyone have any suggestions? i need my speakers!

4. bslax28 macrumors member

does anyone know? this is a really big problem, and given the language barrier, it is very hard to solve at a store (of which I cannot find one anyhow)

5. OxfordJoan macrumors newbie

The headphone cycling worked for me

I have a new iMac g5, just ran the Leopard update (Feb 08) and speakers stopped responding. (They were not available as an output choice in the Sound Folder.) I plugged a pair of headphones in and out of the headphone jack several times, then plugged the speaker plug into the headphone jack. The speakers work fine. Makes no sense. (They're JBL Creature Speakers purchased July 05)

Originally they were connected in the port next to the headphone port (sorry - not techie enough to know the correct name of this port).

This might not work for everyone, but my speakers work now.