Lost space on HD ( I-movie problem)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by taya2011, Dec 28, 2011.

1. taya2011 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I noticed last 2 weeks that i loose almost 1 GB of free space every time when I use I-Movie. Every time when I movie opens it asks me if I want to generate thumbnails for I-movie. I say yes, because if I don't it wont display I-photo movies.
    After that my space eats up. It is very crucial for me right now, as i got to the point that I have less then 1 GB space available out of 110GB
    I normally don't use i-movie, but when I used it a few times this month, I got wondered where is my space gone.
    System 10.5.8
    I movie 7.1.4
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are a few things you can try:
    • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
      [​IMG]
    • For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.
    • Use DiskInventory X (pre-Lion), OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

3. simsaladimbamba

Take a look at DiskInventory X (will not work in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion), OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.

And if you have the money to spare, get an external HDD, as having only 1 GB out of 110 GB free, is not recommended. It is recommended to have at least 10 to 20 % of the HDD's capacity available, thus you should have at least 11 GB free HDD space. You can actually damage an HDD with so little free HDD space, as the OS needs some breathing room for temporary files, especially swapping RAM to the HDD, as you only have 2 GB.

4. taya2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i get size option? I don't have one.

I have HDD 1TB
    But It does not help much, because I download more files then I am capable of removing after working with them. Timewise.
    I am thinking that I might have got some duplicates of files. Somehow. So in this case will be a mac keeper a good thing to use?
    Thanks for the advise.

5. simsaladimbamba

Click on "Other" and select "Size" there.

It's your HDD, and if you plan to replace it anyway, then do as you wish, but keeping the free capacity that low will eventually lead to failure.

Keep away from MacKeeper and such ***** software.
    Take a look at DupeGuru to find duplicates.

6. taya2011, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

taya2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

2 simsaladimbamba: When I do what you said, it does not give me the option of size. I tried to create this option by typing SIZE, but it didn't saved. :/

7. simsaladimbamba

So the method outlined in this 2.8 MB video does not work?
    I have 10.6.8, but GGJstudios has 10.5.8 and also the "SIZE" category.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you have to type something in the search field in the upper right corner, before any options appear. Then click the "+" button circled here:
    ScreenCap 8.PNG
    Then click "Kind" (or whatever may appear here):
    ScreenCap 5.PNG
    Then scroll to the bottom and click "Other":
    ScreenCap 4.PNG
    Then scroll down and select "Size":
    ScreenCap 6.PNG
    Now you can change the Size criteria:
    ScreenCap 7.PNG

9. taya2011, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

taya2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you noticed in the first post, I said system 10.5.8

But it is ok, all programs that were offered as a help here are for a manual managing. This would not work for me. Dupeguru is glitching does not want to be installed. I don't know what pre Lion means. I have leapard.:)
    I still think that using Imovie stolen a few gegs of space. Any ideas how it could happened? :confused:
    BTW yesterday I did as you showed today in the video , but No size category was there! I had a blank page. Ha! I wish i will take a screenshot of this.
    Thanks!

10. simsaladimbamba

That is why I mentioned GGJstudios having 10.5.8 too and having the feature you don't seem to have. Maybe your systems is somehow ****ed up.

Transcoding video footage during import creates big video files.
    I can't discern from your replies, if you actually tried the applications GGJstudios and me recommended for scanning your HDD for lost HDD space. Have you?

11. taya2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

simsaladimbamba I have tried 3 recommended programs. I discovered files that take big space. I wonder which one are duplicats. I am backing up on servers what i can, but too much manual work. :(
    Movie events are huge. How to delete them without losing video files?

Transcoding video footage during import creates big video files.
    I can't discern from your replies, if you actually tried the applications GGJstudios and me recommended for scanning your HDD for lost HDD space. Have you?[/QUOTE]

12. simsaladimbamba

You don't. Maybe get an external HDD for your iMovie projects and events? Video editing involves big files, there is not really a way around it, especially with iMovie.

13. taya2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Can you take a look at this? The file is almost Gb. Can I delete this? What are those in speech folder? I have external HD WD pasport. It is Ok. I prefer have everything i need under my hand. But I think I have no choice, as start delete everything. I backed up all my junk. :D

Attached Files:

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those are the various voices your Mac can use to speak. Yes, you can move those to an external drive and delete them from your internal drive without hurting your Mac's functionality.

15. taya2011 thread starter macrumors newbie