Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasperjax

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, NY
As the thread title says, my iPhone 7 got swiped on Wednesday and being that I purchased it using the iPhone Upgrade Program, am I basically screwed short of getting the phone back? I called Citizen One that evening, the representative I spoke to said I was still responsible for the loan (understandable) but has anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice given would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
As the thread title says, my iPhone 7 got swiped on Wednesday and being that I purchased it using the iPhone Upgrade Program, am I basically screwed short of getting the phone back? I called Citizen One that evening, the representative I spoke to said I was still responsible for the loan (understandable) but has anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice given would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Find my iPhone + Apple ID.

Send a message to the phone with your details asking for its return.

Alternatively lock into its location and recover with the police.

Reactions: oftheheavens

mjb59463

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2012
That's from the terms and conditions from the citizens one loan page, pertaining to lost/stolen phones. It cut off a little, sorry.

Additionally, try seeing if your credit card that you used offers lost/stolen merchandise protection.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 327

Jasperjax

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, NY
Find my iPhone + Apple ID.

Send a message to the phone with your details asking for its return.

Alternatively lock into its location and recover with the police.

I did that immediately, whoever has it waited until yesterday to turn on it & it showed up on Find My iPhone. As of now, it hasn't been turned on again yet. I'm hoping that being it's bricked will work in my favor as far as recovering it.
[doublepost=1475374601][/doublepost]
That's from the terms and conditions from the citizens one loan page, pertaining to lost/stolen phones. It cut off a little, sorry.

Additionally, try seeing if your credit card that you used offers lost/stolen merchandise protection.

Hadn't thought of that, I'll try contacting CS & see if it is covered. Thanks.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I did that immediately, whoever has it waited until yesterday to turn on it & it showed up on Find My iPhone. As of now, it hasn't been turned on again yet. I'm hoping that being it's bricked will work in my favor as far as recovering it.
[doublepost=1475374601][/doublepost]

Hadn't thought of that, I'll try contacting CS & see if it is covered. Thanks.

Typically you're CC will cover it if paid in full. Since you only paid tax up front that's most likely all you'd get.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Kind of a gray area. Buying a phone on credit always seemed kinda dumb

Buying a phone on credit is basically how carriers are upgrading customers currently, with monthly installments. It's the same thing as Apple's upgrade program with almost exact same terms. The only other real way to have a new device annually is an upgrade program or pay for the iPhone outright, unless your carrier is Advertising a promotional credit.

Maybe before quoting the word dumb next time, you should consider the options for the customer first.

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
Buying a phone on credit is basically how carriers are upgrading customers currently, with monthly installments. It's the same thing as Apple's upgrade program with almost exact same terms. The only other real way to have a new device annually is an upgrade program or pay for the iPhone outright, unless your carrier is Advertising a promotional credit.

Maybe before quoting the word dumb next time, you should consider the options for the customer first.

But it is dumb to buy any consumer electronics on credit. If you can buy it outright, do it! If you can't, well maybe iPhone is not for you. Hold on your budget

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But it is dumb to buy any consumer electronics on credit. If you can buy it outright, do it! If you can't, well maybe iPhone is not for you.

Your statement is profoundly absurd and very glib. Read again what you just wrote. "Buying any consumer product is dumb on credit."
How many customers or forum members for that matter, purchase an $1,100.00 outright for an iPhone, maybe for every family member when they upgrade? Not many.

Now, I purchase my iPhone every year outright, being its a tradition of mine. But to say an iPhone is not right for you because you use credit to purchase shows you struggle with ignorance.

There are hundreds of thousands of customers who finance consumer electronics everyday because it's an appropriate financial solution for their lifestyle and in there budget. As long as the customer makes the agreed payments, then they are building credit and obligating to the terms.

Even carriers are only offering upgrade programs with two year contracts being obsolete with monthly installments, which the customer can trade in at a different time for the latest device.

Maybe someone does have the financial means to pay for an iPhone in full, but they choose to use the advantage of the upgrade program, because it's convenient, managed appropriately, incentive promotion, earning credit and or credit card points through the company and so on.

I think it's very clear you have a major shortcoming by your statement.

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
Your statement is profoundly absurd and very glib. Read again what you just wrote. "Buying any consumer product is dumb on credit."
How many customers or forum members for that matter, purchase an $1,100.00 outright for an iPhone, maybe for every family member when they upgrade? Not many.

Now, I purchase my iPhone every year outright, being its a tradition of mine. But to say an iPhone is not right for you because you use credit to purchase shows you struggle with ignorance.

There are hundreds of thousands of customers who finance consumer electronics everyday because it's an appropriate financial solution for their lifestyle and in there budget. As long as the customer makes the agreed payments, then they are building credit and obligating to the terms.

Even carriers are only offering upgrade programs with two year contracts being obsolete with monthly installments, which the customer can trade in at a different time for the latest device.

Maybe someone does have the financial means to pay for an iPhone in full, but they choose to use the advantage of the upgrade program, because it's convenient, managed appropriately, incentive promotion, earning credit and or credit card points through the company and so on.

I think it's very clear you have a major shortcoming by your statement.

I am a student with a relatively low income and I am always patient enough to sell my old gadget, save money and get a new iPhone. Why can't other people do the same? Why are people so anxious to have a smartphone that they are willing to pay credit with interest rates to get it? Each one does whatever they want, but I am also entitled to my opinion that financing this type of purchase is pretty dumb.

Reactions: ABC5S and evoga

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
At 0% APR it really doesn't make a difference if you pay it upfront or get it on a loan.

If you'd bought it outright and it got stolen you'd be in exactly the same predicament, except the money would be lost & gone in one fell swoop rather than staggered over xx months.

OP - is it on your home insurance?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I am a student with a relatively low income and I am always patient enough to sell my old gadget, save money and get a new iPhone. Why can't other people do the same? Why are people so anxious to have a smartphone that they are willing to pay credit with interest rates to get it? Each one does whatever they want, but I am also entitled to my opinion that financing this type of purchase is pretty dumb.

I think maybe it's just dumb being a strong word for the situation. While there are many of us who will only buy our devices outright, maybe we have that disposable income or some may save, regardless, not everyone can.
I know a couple of people who seem to lack the self control to save for something fully, yet they will pay for their financing of the product every single month without fail. So if that's what they want to do, if that's what works for them. Who are we to pass judgment upon people who do things differently from us no matter our personal opinions or choices. It takes many different strokes to keep the world turning.

Damn, I'm getting philosophical, my morphine must be kicking in :D

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I can appreciate your situation being a student, having to be savvy how you spend your money and reselling your iPhone. But not everyone treats the situation as yours. Which I previously explained.

Some choose to sell the iPhone and maybe they do use the money to contribute towards a new iPhone as yourself. Others may pass the iPhone to down to another family member or friend, which seems to be a fairly reoccurrence, being the lifespan on iPhones last for a long time.

And there is nothing wrong for wanting the latest and greatest, it's the world we live in. That's why carriers have implemented a plan where they will pay off the remaining balance owed on a device when they are ready to upgrade, assuming they meet the carriers standards. And my carrier to upgrade annually has no interest rate. Again, everyone has a different situation than yours with different options.

Using the word 'Dumb' does not apply to every situation and it appears you being a student, your limited in with money, as where others have expendable income to do so as they choose. If a customer meets the obligations and has the money to do so, then so be it.

Last edited:

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
I can appreciate your situation being a student, having to be savvy how you spend your money and reselling your iPhone. But not everyone treats the situation as yours. Which I previously explained.

Some choose to sell the iPhone and maybe they do use the money to contribute towards a new iPhone as yourself. Others may pass the iPhone to down to another family member or friend, which seems to be a fairly reoccurrence, being the lifespan on iPhones last for a long time.

And there is nothing wrong for wanting the latest and greatest, it's the world we live in. That's why carriers have implemented a plan where they will pay off the remaking balance owed on a device when they are ready to upgrade, assuming they meet the carriers standards. And my carrier to upgrade annually has no interest rate. Again, everyone has a different situation than yours with different options.

Using the word 'Dumb' does not apply to every situation and it appears you being a student, your limited in with money, as where others have expendable income to do so as they choose. If a customer meets the obligations and has the money to do so, then so be it.

Sure, like I said each one knows what he/she does with his/her money. But I think any reasonable person should not want to live above his real current financial situation, creating credit lines for a consumable or device that gets osbolete in 3/4 years. That is not a smart move.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sure, like I said each one knows what he/she does with his/her money. But I think any reasonable person should not want to live above his real current financial situation, creating credit lines for a consumable or device that gets osbolete in 3/4 years. That is not a smart move.

Your definition of what is not a smart move is biased and anecdotal. What's considered 'A real financial situation?. Why would it matter if the device is paid off in under two years and someone upgrades ahead of schedule? What's considered 'Above'? We already discussed everyone's financial situation is different.

Way to many holes in your analogy. Your posts are very clear your you struggle to understand financing through terms in which the consumer pays for the item they so choose.

Don't take it personally, but You sound very ignorant from your general understanding of how one pays for something. A lot of times, there is no interest if the device is paid off ahead of time. Credit is convenience and opportunity, if treated respectably, it can be an added benefit. And your 3/4 year obsolete theory is useless, if someone financed a device, it HAS to be paid off before that, which in all likeness the consumer has moved onto the next device.

I hope your in school for accounting or business major, you might learn a thing or two.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point

I think that using the carriers upgrade program where you simply hand them the old phone and walk out with a new one on credit is about as dumb as buying a car or house on credit.... Seriously the poster above clearly laid out how there are advantages to using the program even if you can afford to buy one outright. I am a graduate student and could easily afford a new iPhone yearly because I usually don't make any other random large purchases throughout the year because I find it silly to drop $1,000 cash on something I can get at someone else's expense (0% APR on iPhones over the period of a year). Anyway, you have your opinion and everyone else has another. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009

I must be one of those dumb people. I have enough money to pay off the phone in one shot but why? Say for example I take that $1000 and put it in a microcap stock or a leverage ETF, I can easily make 25% gains in a few days.

Everyone's situation is different but to finance a phone with 0% APR, why the hell not? Are you one of those people to pay off your $25K car when they give your 0% APR for the first 3 years? Now that is dumb.

Jasperjax

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, NY
At 0% APR it really doesn't make a difference if you pay it upfront or get it on a loan.

If you'd bought it outright and it got stolen you'd be in exactly the same predicament, except the money would be lost & gone in one fell swoop rather than staggered over xx months.

OP - is it on your home insurance?

Sadly it is not. And for the person that mentioned 'maybe the iPhone isn't for me', I did trade in my iPhone 6 when I got the 7 through IUP and the only thing I was truly anxious for was to get a phone with a better battery life than my 6. I chose IUP for one simple reason: My carrier doesn't offer existing customers a traditional 2 year upgrade & I wasn't willing to fork over another $20-$30 a month to them.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Sadly it is not. And for the person that mentioned 'maybe the iPhone isn't for me', I did trade in my iPhone 6 when I got the 7 through IUP and the only thing I was truly anxious for was to get a phone with a better battery life than my 6. I chose IUP for one simple reason: My carrier doesn't offer existing customers a traditional 2 year upgrade & I wasn't willing to fork over another $20-$30 a month to them.

One idea - put the full amount - i.e. Pay 1up in advance on a credit card with theft protection.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

To bad you didn't go with your carrier. You would have got a $650 trade in promotion towards your 7.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010

Voice of reason right here.

Reactions: MsRandall
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.