Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitworldmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Hi, I'm in Australia, Im from the U.S. recently went to the movies and lost my iPhone 4s. I think it was stolen. I had the data roaming function turned off to avoid charges so I'm unable to use the find my iPhone function that I had turned on. When I go to "find my iPhone" it says my phone is offline.
Most importantly is that I have many personal notes, photos and emails in my phone. Thank god its password protected but Im very nervous that whoever may have taken the phone can bypass the code somehow and get to my private info? is there any chance of this? Is there anything I can do???:(
thanks!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I doubt it. Also if someone stole it they don't want the data they want the phone itself. Your data is relatively secure. Plus theres nothing you can about it now anyway.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
As mentioned, there's little you can do about it now anyway and, if stolen, they likely took it for the phone itself and will wipe/ restore it instantly anyway.

That said, if they had a little knowhow and really wanted to, yes, they could possibly get into your phone...so, depending on what kind of sensitive info you had, you may want to change some of your passwords and watch your bank accounts.

Again, you're likely completely safe, but you asked if it is possible.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
As mentioned, there's little you can do about it now anyway and, if stolen, they likely took it for the phone itself and will wipe/ restore it instantly anyway.

That said, if they had a little knowhow and really wanted to, yes, they could possibly get into your phone...so, depending on what kind of sensitive info you had, you may want to change some of your passwords and watch your bank accounts.

Again, you're likely completely safe, but you asked if it is possible.

I don't think they could get into the phone. If it is pass code locked there is hardware encryption. Unless they have software that brute forces the phone which is readily available online.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Was the phone officially unlocked or an AT&T or Verizon/Sprint version?

If so all they can do in AU is use it as an iPod, unless they sell it on eBay in US market.

fitworldmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
yeah, the phone was a Verizon phone. U.S. version.

My main thing is people getting my notes, which are very personal diary type entries. I am an actor working here and somewhat well known.... so.. I'm kinda paranoid.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
if you're syncing your notes with iCloud, deleting them from your iCloud account will remove them from the phone as soon as the phone is connected to the internet (via wifi, for example).

I would also recommend you go to find my iPhone and select the "email me when device is found" option. That way you'll know where it is if the finder/thieve does make it into the phone and connects to the net.

You could also send a message to the phone with any contact details you may want to provide a potential finder with, like a new mobile phone number that you may have, just in case the finder would like to return the phone.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Wow you're a celebrity. I hope nobody gets your confidential info because it'll only benefit nosy paparazzis.

Next time use an App called Password Plus from Dataviz (it uses high level encryption) to protect your confidential data. I usually save confidential or compromising data in password plus.

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
yeah, the phone was a Verizon phone. U.S. version.

My main thing is people getting my notes, which are very personal diary type entries. I am an actor working here and somewhat well known.... so.. I'm kinda paranoid.

The would be iPhone picker upper person (don`t want to call him/her a thief until unless proven) would simply restore so no need to worry about data. the 4s is relatively secure than the 4.

Well you could start out by reporting it stolen to the online database they maintain in the country you lost it. They will update your IMEI ask for proof of ownership and will block it on all networks within the country. Do the same for your home country.

fitworldmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
I requested a wipe on "find my iPhone" as soon as it connects to the internet.
Would this also work if the person who has it turns on the data roaming? I haven't canceled the phone service because there may be a chance of this.

When you request a wipe it doesn't give the option of sending a message anymore... unfortunately. I would have offered some $ no questions asked.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I requested a wipe on "find my iPhone" as soon as it connects to the internet.
Would this also work if the person who has it turns on the data roaming? I haven't canceled the phone service because there may be a chance of this.

When you request a wipe it doesn't give the option of sending a message anymore... unfortunately. I would have offered some $ no questions asked.

Whether the person turns on data roaming, turns on the cellular, or it finds an open WiFi to connect to, the phone will receive the wipe request and then begin wiping the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.