Lost System Preferences 10.4.11

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HumanBeanAB, May 24, 2012.

1. HumanBeanAB macrumors newbie

I inherited a PowerBook G4 from my mom. It's only issue (other than a dysfunctional battery) is that System Preferences is totally and completely gone. (Not in applications, nor under the apple icon, nor accessible by the search in the upper right corner, not even in the trash). I updated the os from 10.4.5, which didn't help. I searched far and wide on the internet for a Sys Pref download, to no avail. Tried CraigsList forums and found someone who emailed me their application. When I received it however, it had broken down into 115 different parts in the email.

Any suggestions as to how to get System Preferences or how to reassemble my 115 bits into the proper application?

And yes, I know it's an old computer, but it's perfectly functional and my needs are simple, so I would really like to get it to function.

Many thanks

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I might able to email it to you in a zip file. If not, I seriously reccommend buying the Leopard install DVD from ebay and upgrading the machine. I would also completely erase the disk before you install, because there may be some weird caches or something in there.

3. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

If it turns out that no one is able to successfully send you a copy, do this:

Insert the Tiger install disc and use Pacifist to extract the System Preferences app from it. It's possible that the app may have been changed with a Tiger update newer than your disc, so also download the 10.4.11 combo update (PPC) and merge in any changes it may have.

It's a much more time consuming solution, but it will work if you have the disc. Pacifist is a handy tool.