Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainpicard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
hey everyone, i wanted to know if apple will replace my lost tiger restore cd's that came with my macbook(april 07 bought) with a leopard restore cd ? Because i wanted to move to leopard anyways, but My computer is kinda weird now and I want to reinstall the OS but I have no restore cd. Should I simply Buy Leopard ? Or do you think Apple Will send me a replacement leopard restore cd ? PS. I'm still under the 3 year warranty plan from apple.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Not sure I understand why they should send you Leopard disks?
If you want Leopard, you should buy it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
i doubt they will send you a newer version. they want you to spend money remember. i would expect them to just send you what you bought back.
you never know you could be lucky i guess.

captainpicard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Not sure I understand why they should send you Leopard disks?
If you want Leopard, you should buy it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

I just thought they would not send Tiger Restore CD's anymore since they discontinued support for that OS. And since i need a new Restore CD. I was just curious. Because if Apple will charge me for a new restore cd, i would rather go out and buy leopard instead of paying for a new tiger restore cd.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
i don't think they would charge you for tiger restore CDs but maybe leopard. i don't know. just try and find out, i would.

don't ask, don't get.

Let me know if you do get it updated tho.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
If you have lost the disks then Apple will want to charge you for a Tiger replacement.

Trust me it will be cheaper to buy Leopard.....

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Just out of curiosity, why would it be cheaper to buy Leopard for 129$, than to let Apple send you (if they do that) Tiger restore DVDs?

Won't they just charge for packaging, manufacture and handling of the DVDs?
That would be like 25$.

My Upgrade DVD for Leopard did only cost me 10€, as I have bought my Mac in October 2007.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I just thought they would not send Tiger Restore CD's anymore since they discontinued support for that OS. And since i need a new Restore CD. I was just curious. Because if Apple will charge me for a new restore cd, i would rather go out and buy leopard instead of paying for a new tiger restore cd.

tiger is not unsupported....

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
hey everyone, i wanted to know if apple will replace my lost tiger restore cd's that came with my macbook(april 07 bought) with a leopard restore cd ? Because i wanted to move to leopard anyways, but My computer is kinda weird now and I want to reinstall the OS but I have no restore cd. Should I simply Buy Leopard ? Or do you think Apple Will send me a replacement leopard restore cd ? PS. I'm still under the 3 year warranty plan from apple.

When you request replacement system restore disks (which Apple calls Fulfillment Disks) the first thing they ask you for is the serial number for the Mac you want the disks for. That is so that they provide the duplicate disks that were shipped with the particular machine originally- and if it shipped with Tiger, then Tiger you will get.

I have done this with a couple of Macs I have helped people sell on eBay where the owners lost the restore disks and in each case the average cost of a pair of replacement restore disks was $32 shipped- and they arrived within 5 or 6 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.