Lost Tiger Restore CD for macbook, will apple replace with leopard restore ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by captainpicard, Oct 12, 2008.

1. captainpicard macrumors newbie

hey everyone, i wanted to know if apple will replace my lost tiger restore cd's that came with my macbook(april 07 bought) with a leopard restore cd ? Because i wanted to move to leopard anyways, but My computer is kinda weird now and I want to reinstall the OS but I have no restore cd. Should I simply Buy Leopard ? Or do you think Apple Will send me a replacement leopard restore cd ? PS. I'm still under the 3 year warranty plan from apple.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure I understand why they should send you Leopard disks?
    If you want Leopard, you should buy it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i doubt they will send you a newer version. they want you to spend money remember. i would expect them to just send you what you bought back.
    you never know you could be lucky i guess.

4. captainpicard thread starter macrumors newbie

I just thought they would not send Tiger Restore CD's anymore since they discontinued support for that OS. And since i need a new Restore CD. I was just curious. Because if Apple will charge me for a new restore cd, i would rather go out and buy leopard instead of paying for a new tiger restore cd.

5. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i don't think they would charge you for tiger restore CDs but maybe leopard. i don't know. just try and find out, i would.

don't ask, don't get.

Let me know if you do get it updated tho.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you have lost the disks then Apple will want to charge you for a Tiger replacement.

Trust me it will be cheaper to buy Leopard.....

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Just out of curiosity, why would it be cheaper to buy Leopard for 129$, than to let Apple send you (if they do that) Tiger restore DVDs?

Won't they just charge for packaging, manufacture and handling of the DVDs?
    That would be like 25$.

My Upgrade DVD for Leopard did only cost me 10€, as I have bought my Mac in October 2007.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

tiger is not unsupported....

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

When you request replacement system restore disks (which Apple calls Fulfillment Disks) the first thing they ask you for is the serial number for the Mac you want the disks for. That is so that they provide the duplicate disks that were shipped with the particular machine originally- and if it shipped with Tiger, then Tiger you will get.

I have done this with a couple of Macs I have helped people sell on eBay where the owners lost the restore disks and in each case the average cost of a pair of replacement restore disks was $32 shipped- and they arrived within 5 or 6 days.