Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKipper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
I recently got a MacBook for university and I have loved it so far. Not a problem (until now) and everything just works right out of the box. However, my wireless connection started acting a little weird today.

My MacBook connected to my WEP-encrypted network as soon as I pulled it out of the box. Never had a problem with it and worked fine between connecting wirelessly at home and university. On Saturday I changed my home network to WPA and, after changing the password and settings on the MacBook, it connected without a problem and connecting at university still worked fine... no problems yet.

Today I pulled out the MacBook at university but could not access the internet at all. I brought it home and now I'm experiencing the same problems. Yet in both cases I can access the network and connect to shared music in iTunes, but not access the internet. After playing around with a bunch settings in my router, nothing changed, unless I run no encryption in which case everything works fine again. I haven't changed any network settings on the MacBook (other than changing the settings to reflect the WPA change).
Any one have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

- The Kipper

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
TheKipper,
Have you tried deleting your Internet/network keychains in Keychain access or looking to see if there are any Preference files that reference your wireless settings?

Just an idea... :)

Avenger23

TheKipper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
I reset all the preferances to defaults and deleted all the saved passwords, but still don't have access to the internet. In the network status it says "Airport is connected to the network [My network name here]. You are connected to the Internet via Airport." However, when I open a browser (both Safari and Firefox) it will display an error ("unable to connect to the internet" or the like).
:confused:

- The Kipper

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
Hmm... well the one thing that stands out to me from working for my school district is that we had a proxy setting for the schools to filter/connect to the district Internet proxy servers. This might be needed for the school/university connection and if it's left on for your home network it will not connect to the Internet because it's looking for the proxy server IP address...

Just an idea there...not sure if your school connection needs it though...

Avenger23

TheKipper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Nope, there isn't a proxy at my university (at least not one that I need to connect to).

Interestingly enough, my MacBook connected without a problem today at university and again when I got home. I haven't touched the settings since last night when it wasn't working. WPA, however, still isn't working. I guess that's what makes wireless networking so interesting.

Thanks for the ideas Avenger.

- The Kipper

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
No problem, just trying to help you out there. I know having problems with wireless connections are a bummer... I had to put up with it at a National Guard school I went to this summer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.