Lost write permission to user home directory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yalla-One, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Yalla-One macrumors newbie

Hi,

Sometime in the past couple of days I lost write permission to my own home directory (/Users/yalla) - The attributes for my homedirectory are correct, but there are extended attributes as well, and I believe this is where the problem lies.

For Documents, Downloads etc, I am allowed to create/modify/delete files and directories, but under my pure homedirectory ~yalla I am all of a sudden unable to write, meaning I cannot create for instance a new .bashrc (not that I need to since I already have one), or create new catalogues.

Any idea what has changed?
    I have tried both from Terminal and from Finder, and I am not allowed to create new directories under ny homedir.

By going to Finder and going under "Get Info" for my homedir, I have gone to Sharing & Permissions and changed from Read Only to Read & Write which seems to fix it. I have however not been there before and made any changes, and I am therefore worried that by changing this to R&W I am fixing a symptom and not the core problem.

Any insight greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I assume you've tried repairing permissions with Disk Utility?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You should also be able to boot to a Mac OS Install DVD and reset the home folder permissions. This command is accessible from the password reset utility which is more commonly used to reset the administrator password of a computer running the Mac OS.

4. Yalla-One thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers!

I fixed this by changing the permissions on my home directory from the explorer. Just wanted to know if this is fixing the symptom or fixing the problem

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, I don't see why the permissions would have changed in the first place, but I wouldn't worry about it unless the problem recurs. However, you should still repair permissions if you haven't done so. It's possible that there are other permissions errors elsewhere.