OS X LOTRO Mac client: anyone tried beta?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Solomani, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I remember hearing late last year (2012) that the native MacOSX client for LOTRO had been released as an open beta.

Has anyone tried the OSX client? It runs well for a beta client? In general I don't like being a guinea pig for betas (had miserable experiences in past MMO betas), but this is a game that I'd love to play on my iMac. And if you had been playing it as a registered user (for OSX client), has the company hinted at all when the OSX client will be ready for prime time (out-of-beta) release and also for DLCs to start supporting the OSX client?

P.S. -- yeah, the Windows client has been out for several years. I have no plans to install a Windows bootcamp partition just to play this one game, so not really looking forward to anyone telling me that I can opt to play this via Bootcamp. My questions/concerns here are strictly about the state of the Mac client.

Addendum: one more question.... does the Mac client require Steam account? I remember that the PC client was distributed via Steam.

2. atarria macrumors member

I downloaded the free to play Mac game client independent of Steam. It plays well and I am getting a good enough frame rate. Graphically, LOTRO is very dated and the music repetitious. It seems even more of a grind than WoW. The game also has a complex, multi panel character development system and tedious crafting. The interface is very small and it is difficult for me to see the inventory items even when I enlarge the interface.

The problem with Turbine games is the micro transactions model. I much prefer Guild Wars 2 with its up front purchase model. The graphics are really good and the Mac client has not caused any problems that bother me.

3. old-mac-man macrumors regular

I've been playing LotRO in OSX for a while with the supplied client from Turbine. Can't say I've had any problems and the interface and graphics are good enough if not cutting edge.